Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

In the market for a semi-auto 12ga

teej89

NE PA
So I've grown up using my dads remington 870 12ga and I do love the thing but the down fall is I'm only shooting 2-3/4" shells. I want to get a semi-auto and something that can shoot 3 or 3.5s. I'll be using it mostly for turkey hunting and waterfowl hunting. I'd like to keep it under $1500. What would you guys suggest?

Also I'm left eye dominant so when shooting at waterfowl and doves I shoot lefty but when turkey hunting I shoot righty. What hand shotgun would you suggest? I shoot a right handed shotgun right now which makes it hard for hunting upland birds and what not b/c of where the safety is located.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I really recommend that if you shoot left hand you get a left ported gun and vis versa. If you shoot a gun left handed that is right ported always wear eye protection. I witnessed a ball of flame come out of the ejection port of a friends brand new shotgun once. Until then I never worried about it much. I've probably been around 10s of thousands of rounds fired and that was the only time I ever witnessed it, but it only takes one time.

I'm a lefty and if I was to buy a lh semi auto for waterfowl it would be a Benelli SBE.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
I shoot a Winchester sx3. Here is a long discussion on the topic. http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?14760-New-Duck-Gun

Thanks man, I started reading that a while back and I only saw them talking bout rounds. But I see they discussed guns in the beginning. I think I'm looking at the remington versamax. I've always shot a remington all my life with no complaints(except the 2-3/4" only part).

And thanks OhioSam I always wear eye protection while shooting except during turkey hunting. But after hearing that story I'm definitely going to be bringing a pair of safety glasses along this year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Wouldn't trade my 1100 for the world.

Agreed. Unless you are going to waterfowl a good bit, then I'd lean towards something built to take the kind of beating a duck gun takes. The 1100's are a great guns, but cold/wet weather is tough on a lot of guns. After reading through my duck gun thread, I'd look very closely at the Winchester SX3s. I am trading for a 11-87 Super Mag next week, so that is also another all purpose gun to consider if you'll just be casually hunting ducks. My Benelli is tough as nails and has seen some serious abuse this year, although you'd never know by the way she looks and functions. Lots of great products out there for that price point!

teej89

NE PA
Thanks Jesse, I may look at the 11-87 because I want to start duck hunting but I'm not sure my first year is going to be an all out die hard year. That's good advice to just buy an all purpose one to start. Thanks!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I was in the same boat as you last spring. My Moss 500 suited me well the last 17yrs, figured it was time to finally break down and buy a semi-auto. I ended up with the 11-87, sportmans field version for many reasons and it has suited me well to date. I have only had 1 jam (failed to eject spent shell) when using Winchester low brass, 7 1/2's while shooting a 100rd of sporting clays. This was the first time using winchester 2 3/4" shells, so I will continue to experiement, but never had a failure with the green remington field shells in 2 3/4".

Number of shells through the gun to date is approx 700 +/- 20.

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-sportsman-field.aspx

teej89

NE PA
So I'm between

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo..._l=SBC;cat104792580;cat105537780;cat105538680

and

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo..._l=SBC;cat104792580;cat105537780;cat105538680

and

I'm really digging the versa max but is it worth the extra change over the 11-87? I mean remington has to have all the kinks worked outta the 11-87 since it was the old 1100 which has been around well since 87 lol I also like the winchester but I've never owned one so that kinda makes me skeptical ya know?

See I always get caught up in prices and quality because yeah I may not be a die hard duck hunter in the next year or two but what about when I do. Then I would probably wanna upgrade to a more durable waterfowl gun. I always look to the future and try to get the best so I'm not second guessing myself and wishing I woulda dropped the extra penny. Anyone else think like this?

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Me personally, wouldn't get a 1187 ...Of the ones mentioned its tough beating the SX3. The versamax has a good rep now to . Early ones had a few issues. My gun is a Beretta extrema2 . I've had it for 5 seasons and killed a lot of ducks geese , and 12 Turkey with it . But they are a expensive gun . If I had to buy another one I'd have a hard choice between another Beretta or a sx3 I think .

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hell a decade ago or so. They have the same internal gas system

Haven't paid attention too the semis for a long time....thanks for the heads up..... Might be looking at a semi .410 for a retirement gift for myself lol....

teej89

NE PA
Keep in mind that theres a lot of decent used guns out there to .

where would you suggest to look? Shotgunworld.com? And i'm just iffy buying a used gun from someone I don't know. Not knowing how they took care of it.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Watch used gun racks at places like gander and fin feather and fur, I think cabelas even has one . My buddy just bought a extrema2 in great shape for 900 dollars .It is in way better shape than mine .
Its just a option to look at , may save you money but I hear ya on your concerns

Huckleberry Finn

I've thought about buying a Stoeger (I know Joe has one and loves his). It's a budget gun but they get exceedingly well reviews. Stoeger is wholly owned by Benelli, who is owned by Beretta.

For example, my Stoeger pistol is made in Turkey, on the original Beretta machining that made Beretta Cougars in Italy. It's not an Italian gun, but it is built well.