Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saturday Doe

Treed

Stark County
It's been a long season for me but I was finally able to put some meat in the freezer. Yesterday afternoon I got dressed and stepped out on the deck with our bee smoker and just as I was getting it lit, it started pouring down rain. I figured what the heck, it may pass. In about 20 minutes, it did so I went out and sat on a big rock in the woods out back. It was warm and had been raining all day, I really didn't expect to see anything but figured I had nothing better to do so I might as well go sit somewhere. I didn't want to bother with a climber so the big rock seemed like a good idea. I got up on my rock and settled in and within ten minutes saw two big fat doe walking on a trail about 120 yards below where I was. I watched them start to track right at me and the first one, who was a bit smaller passed within 15 yards. At his point I've gotta say a huge THANK YOU to the "smoker" crowd. We've kept bees for years and it never occurred to me to smoke my clothes up before hunting, now I'll never hunt without it. It works, much better than any scentlock crap ever will and it doesn't cost 300 bucks. Thanks guys, great idea. Anyway, the second doe got to within twenty yards and I stopped her with a quick "meep". She stopped and stood stalk still, full broadside and was even courteous enough to have her front foot forward making the shot about as easy as humanly possible. I hit her with a 2" rage Hypodermic on a GT Pro Hunter shaft. She went about 50 yards, looped back toward me a few feet and dropped dead. The blood trail looked more like a massacre scene than a blood trail, I mean it was a friggin mess, those Hypodermics are awesome. Anyway, this is all pretty exciting for a self taught bow hunter. I'll try to get a pic up but my Hotmail acct is acting weird and I can't get into my mail right now and I don't know how to upload pics from my phone so it may be a minute.
I'm pretty happy today. It was a good weekend. Got a deer, Seahawks won, life is good.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Way too get it done late season..... Glad you finally got with smokin up and realizing its benefit..... Congrats....