Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Unusual gun show experience.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Went with a friend to the Niles gunshow today. One of the last tables had several milsurp rifles, mostly Mausers but there was a Swiss K31 on the table. The dealer was talking to a guy, just discussing different 8mm ammo, I patiently waited a few minutes till there was a lull in the conversation and asked if I could look at it. The deal said "no" WTF?? I've never had a dealer say no. Now I've seen collectors displays and usually don't even ask the touch those but this was just a dealer. I wonder if he sells much?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Usually only if a collector's display. This does seem odd. Little did he know you are a sucker for unusual things that go bang. His loss in my opinion. Possibly even his loss financially. He doesn't know if you were a serious buyer or window shopper. Now he will never find out.

Shoulder Blade

You know most of those show people are weird. Having said that, a table at a show can get the best of you. I've sold at shows with and w/o tables and am sure I have ruined a sale or two by not letting someone look at something.

I guess I've been around these shows for 20 years and can more or less predict how a interaction will proceed. If I get a sense that the person isn't serious, I'll just keep walking.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You know most of those show people are weird. Having said that, a table at a show can get the best of you. I've sold at shows with and w/o tables and am sure I have ruined a sale or two by not letting someone look at something.

I guess I've been around these shows for 20 years and can more or less predict how a interaction will proceed. If I get a sense that the person isn't serious, I'll just keep walking.

Now as a 28 yr. gunshow dealer I take offense as to being called weird. I maybe a little strange but not weird. But I will let off the hook since you said most and I must be the other part that's not weird. LOL
I have to agree that a lot of gunshow dealers don't have a clue and just waiting for a sucker to take the bait.
A lot of the problem is in general people get greedy. Or they look in the Blue Book and pick out the highest priced gun of the type they have even though it's not their actual firearm but only close. Close just doesn't get it.
My son and I have often talked about writing a book on our weird experiences. Now you want to talk about weird you should hear the stories our friend can tell who was a 911 operator for 20 yrs. and just retired. He should write the million dollar book.

I forgot to mention some what I will call weird displayers will put items on their table but don't intend to sell. When I put a non-sell item on the table it's has a tag attached that states "not for sale". I do this for "wanted to buy" items I'm looking to buy.
In 28 yrs. I have never once made a offer on a customer's item for sale. Hell I might be thinking it's worth 500 and the customer is thinking the value is 300. It someone wants to sell me something tell me what you expect to get and we will go from there. But that's just good business on my part.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I quit going to gun shows years ago. Most of it is way overpriced mil surplus junk. Seems like every dealer is just waiting on a sucker. The sad part is nowadays there is always one around the corner. Most of their starting prices aren't even in the ballpark for a negotiation to a fair price. Especially since every suburbanite and their brother in law has decided they want to be tacticool and the next Johnny Rambo.

Huckleberry Finn

This sort of thing pisses me off and just shows that they are lacking a little in the sales department. The average millionaire still drives a Ford Explorer (although it might be a Jeep Cherokee now). You don't know who they are when they walk in your shop door or up to your table, so treat everyone with respect. It's not the guy wearing a three piece suit and wearing a rolex.

That said too, you'd think a table set up in shale country would recognized that there is a little more expendable $ going around these dales...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I quit going to gun shows years ago. Most of it is way overpriced mil surplus junk. Seems like every dealer is just waiting on a sucker. The sad part is nowadays there is always one around the corner. Most of their starting prices aren't even in the ballpark for a negotiation to a fair price. Especially since every suburbanite and their brother in law has decided they want to be tacticool and the next Johnny Rambo.

Yep. Most have insane prices and are looking for suckers. I don't even go anymore. The only reason to go is looking for odd items. The internet is much more pleasurable to shop. If I am looking for something I post it and generally have one shortly at a good price. No gas, entry fee, jerky/toy/cheap knife/shtf/screw Obama/latest conspiracy theory on ammo/etc....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I haven't bothered to go to a gun show in the last year. A friend called during the week and wanted me to go with him. He was looking for some ammo, yes he found it but he could have bought it online for the same $$. Had fun going anyways because life has dealt this friend some tough stuff lately and it was good to spend time with him. It was also fun because I saw a bunch of people I know.

I had the money on me if the "right" thing showed up. Was mildly tempted by a few things but nothing that made my knees weak.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I still go to them on occasion. Ya just never know what will show up...
Just do your homework or don't bring cash!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dad still goes, but he buys from people walking around, not the dealers.

That is the key. I have bought from dealers in the past and feel I have gotten some fair deals. Never a "steal" though. Those "fair" deals have worked out as I have kept the guns long enough they are worth more than they were when I bought them. This is more as a result of our govt than anything. Best deals are almost always from someone walking a gun.

Bought some reloaded ammo from a regular dealer once. Will NEVER buy reloaded ammo again. He nearly got me injured or killed. Were I completely inexperienced I feel the situation would have turned out differently. Fired a round out of a stubnose 38 and it did not go bang. Pop, but no bang. I paused attempting to figure out what happened. Removed my finger from the trigger. Emptied the cylinder. Then I realized I had a bullet lodged in the chamber of a 2 1/4" barrel. Must have never put any powder in there. I type this simply as a warning to anyone else. Even a "dealer" selling reloads does not necessarily mean you should feel safe buying from them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That is the key. I have bought from dealers in the past and feel I have gotten some fair deals. Never a "steal" though. Those "fair" deals have worked out as I have kept the guns long enough they are worth more than they were when I bought them. This is more as a result of our govt than anything. Best deals are almost always from someone walking a gun.

Bought some reloaded ammo from a regular dealer once. Will NEVER buy reloaded ammo again. He nearly got me injured or killed. Were I completely inexperienced I feel the situation would have turned out differently. Fired a round out of a stubnose 38 and it did not go bang. Pop, but no bang. I paused attempting to figure out what happened. Removed my finger from the trigger. Emptied the cylinder. Then I realized I had a bullet lodged in the chamber of a 2 1/4" barrel. Must have never put any powder in there. I type this simply as a warning to anyone else. Even a "dealer" selling reloads does not necessarily mean you should feel safe buying from them.

I have read about things like this happening before from guys buying reloads. The best advice I have seen is to weigh each of them on a digital scale before firing.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have read about things like this happening before from guys buying reloads. The best advice I have seen is to weigh each of them on a digital scale before firing.

I recommend not buying reloads. I reload but don't trust anyone else to do it. Some of the worst ammo on the shelf is reloaded "factory" ammo. Ultra max or whatever it is called. Would rather shoot Russian.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I recommend not buying reloads. I reload but don't trust anyone else to do it. Some of the worst ammo on the shelf is reloaded "factory" ammo. Ultra max or whatever it is called. Would rather shoot Russian.

There is a huge difference between reloads and re-manufactured ammo.
A reloaded round is done by someone that doesn't have much common sense when it comes to liability. That's where you get your faulty ammo of no powder, incorrect powder charges, missing and crushed primers.

A re-manufactured round is produced by a Corporation that carries Liability Insurance and all rounds are produced on a automatic machine. Once the machine is setup it is almost impossible to produce a faulty round.
The machine is automatic and checks for cracked case, correct powder charge, seating depth, and correct primer.
If anything is sensed the machine locks up and shuts down. There is a senser vacuum switch on each stage.
All this is going on and still produces 3000 plus rounds per hour. Only delays is when a faulty case crops up. It's fun to watch the machines run.
It's really a detail long drawned out process. First the pistol cases are cleaned, then sorted by size, then sorted by caliber, then the 45ACP have to be sorted for small and large primers.
Then each caliber pistol cases are run through a case processor machine to look for defects and bring the case in size back to factory specs.

A reloader does none of these steps and will just clean and throw a loaded round together. Buyer beware.