Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

mineral blocks and salt

jlane

dunn nc
do they really work, thinking about putting some out,need your opinion on this never put any out will the deer eat them or does squrrels and racoons eat most of it, do you have any trail cam pics showing deer eating, i,ve heard of deer digging holes in the ground looking but never seen it personally, thanks, jlane,

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
It works and is beneficial to the total herd! You may not kill anything over a mineral site, but they will use it. I like rock salt and brown trace mineral blocks.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Salt is great and yes, traces of it after its physically gone will still bring them in. I have not used mineral blocks, but I have used Trophy Rocks with good results.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use a mineral mix recipe. Not quite the same as a block or Trophy rock but similar. Reminds me I should be replentishing them soon. They use them heavier at certain times of the year but I try to keep them out year round. They can hit them when they want to. I agree you probably won't kill one over minerals but they are good for the health of the herd.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Over the years I have tried a number of these. I believe part of the "success" will be in the area you are planning to use it in. 35-40 years ago there were a lot of farms around me which meant there were lots of salt blocks around for the deer as well. Natural mineral exposure can also offer "licking" spots. For me, it was not productive.
Now most the farms are gone.
Five years ago I started putting out the "tan" mineral block from Tractor supply each spring (they last about 1 year) and hanging a trail cam near-by to see. I have generations of does showing fawns to lick the block now. I don't believe it would be worthy of a stand location however it does keep them swinging through that corner of the woods and it can't hurt the bucks antler development...I just look at it as a slight habitat improvement.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They are great for getting pics in the summer so you can see what type of bucks are hanging around.I like the crushed trophy rock as you work it in the soil and only have to do it twice a year, I will also put a whole trophy rock down with it, the does and fawns really like it also.

Eric Revo

Here in NC we have some really poor clay soil and the deer really hit mineral licks well in certain areas. My "secret" formula for making about 120 pounds of mix is as follows: 1-50# bag of non-medicated range mineral, 1-50# bag of red trace mineralized salt, 20 pounds of powdered dolomite (high magnesium yard lime) and mix all of this together with 10 pounds of crystalized molasses. Find a rotten hardwood stump within 100 yards of a creek, or clean source of water in a high deer traffic area. Pour about 30 pounds of the mixture directly on the stump and about 10 pounds or so around the stump. Deer will really start to hit this mixture in the early spring and keep hitting it until well into bow season. If the site gets hit super hard it may need refreshed with the same amount every 2-3 months. It makes a great place to hang a game camera for pre-season scouting.

jlane

dunn nc
have anybody tried the lucky buck powder, if so what kind of results have you had, a little expensive but dang it smells good

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mineral spots are most effective from Feb-September. If I had to pick the best months for them, I'd say march-June. They are great for inventory during those months. Once the season rolls around, the bucks seem to vacate the mineral spots unless you put some sort of attractant there.

Jesse has a great DIY mineral recipe posted on here somewhere. I've used that the last two seasons with good results.

The recipe posted above is intriguing and I may try it as well.

For me, the main goal of a mineral spot is nutrition and inexpensive trail cam bait.

One bit if advice, try to locate your minerals around a water hole or where the soil usually remains moist.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Mineral Article: DIY Style

Here is the link to the article I put together a while back. I also have another write up in the Habitat Management Forum about minerals that might be of some help.

Obviously I feel minerals serve a purpose. Some guys will argue there is no different between a plain old white salt block and my mix, but I'd disagree with that. If you are just looking to get pictures, a plain white salt block is a great choice. It is cheaper, allowing you to do more site and it performs very well in regards to drawing power. However the chemicals used to process that salt do not need to be introduced in to a deer's diet IMO, although it may not affect them at all. Kinda like eating McDonalds or organic foods. I did not invent this mix, but I feel it offers premium ingredients and maximum benefit from a mineral supplement. The biggest player IMO is the di-calcium phosphate which aids in protein retention. A doe who hits the minerals heavily theoretically should retain more protein, creating a higher protein milk which translates to healthier fawns. I've been using this mix for 8 years now and the does absolutely tear it up. Deer seek things that are good for them and this mix obviously speaks to them. The whole reason I establish mineral sites is to benefit the deer first, get pictures second. Regardless of the objectives, having one or more mineral/salt lick sites is a fun hobby within a hobby.

jlane

dunn nc
bowhunter, i taking your advice, got all the minerals you said, now the problem, i,m from nc won,t get out there every month to replenish, is there a problem of putting out too much in one location, or does it matter, or will it leach away over time, got a water hole on property, but don,t want to contaminate the water source if that is possible, from what i have read i need to be close to moist ground or a water source got 150 lbs of minerials thinking of 3 licks, i need input from the pros, will be out there this weekend, thanks

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd just put out 30-35 pounds in each lick to get them started, then replenish around the end of May or June with the rest. I have my lick right next to a waterhole and within spitting distance of a creek. Put it some place they feel secure using it and they'll take it from there.