Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Second rut fawn.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Gestation for a whitetail is about 7 months placing birthing dates for does bred in November in June. A doe bred in January will throw a fawn in August. When do you think this one was dropped. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389393877.323468.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When I was in HS I processed deer in my dad's barn for Christmas cash. I processed one for a guy during gun season that I picked up with one hand. It didn't weigh 30 lbs, I'd guess. Not all of the rut takes place in November. We would probably all be surprised by how late some does are bred. Cool pic!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Good timing with this thread Joe. I never really thought about the late breeding difference. Here are some pictures of what appears to be the same situation that my mother took at their house. Fawn stayed in its bed for 2 straight days after that cold spell.

image.jpg

image.jpg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just kicked up a fawn while driving for work that had faded spots still. Looked like a fawn would in mid September. Pretty crazy and I had to do a double take to make sure I seen what I thought I seen.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We had a doe with her fawn with spots in October here. I was shocked.

In late October of 2012 I took pictures of twins with spots. Matter of fact I seen them both on Nov. 11th 2012 and both still had spots.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That fawn would of been born in sept or oct then... That's very odd

It was in a small community that has a bunch of deer and the residents feed them I would assume. There was a good amount of deer I seen back in that same subdivision yesterday. Not sure if that would be the difference or not but sure as shit had spots just like a fawn would have in Mid September. I circled back around but that deer was gone and back down in the little drainage and couldn't get close enough for a pic. It was laying up under some pine trees not 15-20 yards off the road when it bolted out across the road in front of me to get down into that drainage.

Thought of this thread as soon as I seen it and had to post lol. very odd indeed JD.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Found that fawn dead along the side of the road today. Hasn't been there that long. The eyeball was cloudy but intact. Phone won't upload the pic for some reason so I will have to get them uploaded this evening

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's the smallest/youngest fawn I've ever seen or known about this late into the winter in all my years of hunting. Very unusual that's for sure! While the rut was in full swing its mother was prolly prego! IMO...