Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Custom Box Call

runhunter

Anyone have a custom box call from Albert Paul?? I just got off the phone with him, spent about 15 minutes talking. I've read a ton of great things about his work, and he is one hell of a guy. I'm leaning towards a Mohagony/Walnut box, mainly because it's a clear sounding call, with the ability to be rasped up a bit if ya want. Just looking for ideas, experiences etc... I really didn't want to spend that much, but that call will outlast me, and I bought 2 $30 calls in recent years, that I just don't like. Not that all $30 calls are junk, I just picked 2 of them that were.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Wow those are some pretty expensive calls, but I guess it's all in what you want. If I was more of a box call guy I might understand paying that for a good one. I really like my Woodhaven The Real Hen Cherry box call.

runhunter

They are expensive, and my only justification is I paid $30 for 2 different mass produced calls and I get such an I consistent sound, I barely use them. Not that I can't get a good sounding call for less than what he charges, but I was impressed after talking with him yesterday, and knowing how he got started, who he's learned from etc, might make it worth owning a piece of his art. Oh and they sound pretty damn good

Big H

Medina
Check out Martin Brothers in West Virginia. I think they go by Gobblers Choice? Nice box calls. Call and talk to them and tell them what you want.

runhunter

I got my call last week, and I have to say, this thing sounds as good, if not better than it looks. David did a great job on this box, and I cannot wait until that first tom comes in running with his pants down

TC.jpgTC2.jpg