Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fishing Poles 101

Huckleberry Finn

I'm looking to add a pole or two to my collection this spring. Last year was the first year that I really fished more than once or twice. Spent most of the season using a Shakespeare Spincast. One of them ended up at the bottom of Hargus (whoops)

I really want a telescopic rod but haven't found any good ones.

What are you guys using? I really don't know a ton about this but would like to learn...planning on hitting some garage sales too.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You have too look at your needs and what you want too do with it... Telescopic poles will be flimsy and the more moving parts the more they have failures.... Sturdier rods give you less feel for the bite and the more sensitive rods are more fragile.... The rods I use are very sensitive and don't usually stray from my boat so being fragile isn't a bad thing where if you're putting them in a car you may not want something as fragile... One piece rods are lower maint and Pharisee too put in and remove from a vehicle.... Two piece rods are more compact but nothing worse than casting one and half of it ending up at your lure/hook....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My wife killed a 142" net 10pt behind the dam @ Hargus in '93, opening day of bow season. I grew up a mile south of the lake...
Back to rods. Like J said, they are application specific. If you're going to be throwing light baits while wading streams, you don't want heavy weight, stiff gear. Think of the type of fishing you'll be doing, baits you'll be throwing and go from their. To me, I purchase almost entirely on feel. I pick 'em up and give them a shake. I just know when I have one that feels right. Sorry I don't have better advice, but its always fun to shop for fishing gear!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Popeil pocket fisherman or rocket fishing rod!

My personal preference is one piece rods, and I like daiwa reels. I just recently bought a fe fleuger president reals and really like them as well.

I would suggest a two piece rod for the Subaru.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
What is the fish you target the most? ST. Croix make some awesome rods!!! I have a legend series that i bought in the early 90's that has a med-light action that works awesome for smaller bass and panfish.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Dicks runs a special on the St. Croix Triumph line every spring. Good value. I am partial to All Star rods...Abu Garcia baitcasters for Cat reals...Shimano open face...Shimano and Quantum LP Baitcasters.

I needed a cheap Cat set up last year and picked up an Okuma Avenger Bait runner with a Ugly Stick surf casting rod and love it for running live bait. Gotta have flex then. Man I wanna go fishing!

When we had our boat and walleye fished a good bit I ended up getting a couple of the St. Croix rods and they were the best choices I've made. Much more sensitive than anything I ever owned. For durability and a decent rod you cannot beat an Ugly Stick.

Buckmaster

Portage
My buddy carries one of those telescopic rods in his truck. He pulled it out one day and I was like,,,,WTF?

It only took up about 12 inches of his truck.

Pull off the road and fish.

I guess some people have issues.....that's what fishing does to some.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's a suggestion; but longer rods than you think you need. I was serious in my pursuit of crappies for several years. I got away from bass fishing for the most part until the last year or so. All of my newer "bass" gear is 7ft, minimum. The extra leverage makes a world of difference in casting as well as yanking fish out of the water. Even long rods can be lightweight, and if you fish a lot, every ounce counts imo. I'm ordering a couple new spinning rods for crappies too, a 10' and a 12'. Casting light weight jigs will be much easier with them.

Huckleberry Finn

Greg, is that pocket fisherman for reel? (get it?!)

--

Thanks for all the suggestions...like Brock, I have just been picking them up and spinning them.

Tend to use more live bait than anything else.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shimano or Abu Garcia are two reels you currently can't go wrong with.... A little more pricier but well worth it....

Kaiser878

ohio
The old curados were the.best reels ever made. IMO. I currently have several different kinds.of.baitcasters. I really like my pinnacle and my diawas.

Although gear ratio is also important when choosing reels depending.on what u wanna fish for.

As for.poles......the jury is still out with me. I.have a 7'6 heavy veritas I use for my.top.water stuff. But I have also broke 3 veritases in MH. they had an issue with.bad.blanks a couple years ago.....I might.have.gotten some of those.

I really like my Falcon rod that I flip with. Its been a good rod.

I'm not much of a spinning rod fisher but I use a 7ft falcon in light for drop shotting. Its hard to get used to after using.mostly baitcasters.

Its hard to go wrong with garcia or falcon rods. Shakespeare.......not so fond of. But its all what u want to do with it and what u want to spend

Huckleberry Finn,
There's a retired gentleman in my area that rebuilds old rods and reels and then sells them for a very decent price. You can mix and match any rod with any reel and he has a selection that will put any Walmart to shame. Since I've met this man, I have more fishing rod and reel combinations than I ever have owned.

Larry Ball
518 W. Lane Ave.
Lima, Ohio 45801
Cell: 419-516-1810

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great suggestion BH57. If Huck is in the area, it would be worth meeting with Larry. Good guy, straight shooter. Used to submit bids to him for work before he was retired. Was easy to deal with. If not him, there have got to be a handful of other guys in different towns who do similar.

I am no help here. I am a $20-30 Ugly Stik guy. I am taking notes as I read.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The guys who are serious tournament fishermen will have a minimum of 250-300 in a combo.... Especially when using custom rods....