Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boarhead's Coyote Snaring 2014

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
securedownload[1] (4).jpgsecuredownload[1] (5).jpgsecuredownload[5].jpgWell I finally got my snare order a couple weeks ago and finally got them boiled in baking soda and decided to dye them this year and am pleased with how they came out, Got out today with a buddy and saw a lot of tracks and trails in the snow and was able to get about 30 of them set today on the farm my buddy hunts to try and knock down the population to help the deer herd out, I have two farms that I am still bowhunting on till season goes out so will hold off on one of them for a couple more weeks and then try and get another 30 or 40 set.Just wish we could get more hunters out there to do this every year as they would be surprised how much it does help the deer herd, Tried out some pogo stakes and man were they nice, Makes it real easy to set on trails where their is nothing to wire off of,Will keep you updated whenever I start to catch some of these deer killers.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Glad to see it, BH! I'm amazed how much difference it makes. Seeing fawns is more than enough reward for me!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Awesome! I gotta get mine out, I only have a dozen and this will be my first time doing it but I went out today and found a good yote trail in the snow!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Just set 4 snares on trails I found yesterday, they had fresh yote tracks. Jumped 2 bucks, one being a nice wide 8 and they both had a full rack.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
securedownload[1] (6).jpgsecuredownload[1].jpgsecuredownload[1] (7).jpgsecuredownload[2] (4).jpgWell I just got in a little while ago from checking my snares. Not a bad start as I had a male and female today and hopefully will have some luck and catch several more, I will run these for awhile and next Saturday Don is coming up to learn how to set them and we will be setting some more on my Uncle's farm a couple miles from these. After bow season is over I will be setting more on another farm where I do most of my bowhunting and hopefully I will have some luck in thinning out the yote population in our area as it can only help.I started doing these snares a few years back and would only put them out for a few weeks each time and only set a dozen or so and have now caught 55 of them in that time and have really noticed that we see our does with 2 fawns a lot more than we used too, This year I decided to really go after them so should be fun to see how it goes.Also when my buddy was duck hunting the other day he found a nice buck dead in the pond he was hunting close to where I am snaring so we will use it for bait and talked to our game warden and he is going to give him a slip so he can keep the rack.It was a nice heavy rack just too bad it died, we will drag it in a thick hedgerow and let the yotes start on it and then hit them with more snares.Thats the update for today hopefully tomorrow will be another good day.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Nice job! I think I'm going to go back down to the farm and take the deer carcass I have with me. I have a snare set along a fence line, should I put the carcass in the middle and set another snare on the other side of it?

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice job! I think I'm going to go back down to the farm and take the deer carcass I have with me. I have a snare set along a fence line, should I put the carcass in the middle and set another snare on the other side of it?
I like to put them in a thick area and let them start working on it then set the snares on trails coming to it.I don't like to put the snares right at the bait just the trails they make coming in and out.Seems to work well but that's jmo.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
They will travel fence rows if possible right? I made my own little funnel and put a deer head with some neck meat on it in the back and a snare at the front. We had a big yote on cam at this spot the other day, its right off a cut corn field.