Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grandpa's Gun

Buckmaster

Portage
My grandfather was born in 1912. He had beagles throughout the years and enjoyed rabbit hunting. He only had one gun; a 12 gauge Ithaca Model 37 featherlight. He used it for all game he encountered. In 1993, after failing health, he gave that gun to my youngest cousin (13 at the time). Grandpa died in 1995 at the age of 83.

Since my cousin, Marty, doesn't hunt I have asked him numerous times over the years to sell that gun to me. My request always has been denied.

Three years ago Marty moved to NYC and now lives the apartment life with his wife. At a family gathering I found out he gave grandpa's gun to my cousin David, his brother. David doesn't hunt and has been blessed with three girls.

So last week I sent David a request of how many Ben Franklin's they would accept for Grandpa's gun.

Here is his reply today:

"Ï talked to Marty and we decided you should have it. We don't want anything for it as long as it stays in the family. We figured its probably what Grandpa would have wanted anyways."

So, I have plans to pickup this Ithaca Model 37 featherlight 12 gauge this weekend.

After 20 long years the gun should find it's rightful owner. Someday, this will become my son's.

Now, its off to the store for thank you cards and dining gift cards for my cousins and their spouses. That way, we'll all enjoy surprises.

Life is good. Sometimes it requires a test of patience.

Droptine

Medina, OH
That's awesome. That is a classic firearm and beyond that it has a deep meaning for you. I was close with my grandfather, but he didn't hunt. He owned chevy trucks and every time I get in my 2500hd I think of him. I bet that gun will do the same every time you pick it up.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's good to hear, Ben! I just spoke with Geezer today about Model 37s. I have one that was given to me by a childhood mentor upon his death. It was his deer gun and he acquired it through a trade for a model 12...he really wanted the 37 due to it's uncanny ability to throw a foster style slug. I haven't a clue how it shot them so well, it's a full choke and shoots birdshot about as tight as any I've ever seen.

You got a great gun there Ben. The memories carried in it are worth far more than the gun will ever be, and I'm glad you have it!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Ben, I've got cold chills all over reading this. That is awesome! It's very evident you've been living right....Great Karma Straight In Your Lap. That right there is two Upstanding Cousins you have there! Two to be proud of for sure.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ben, I'm the proud owner of my Grandfathers shotgun and deer rifle and I know how you feel about acquiring it... Awesome when it happens.... Mine is a model win 12 in 16 ga.... Enjoy the experience and post some pictures when it arrives.....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Ben
I have some of both my grandfathers old guns from that era. They are priceless to me and honored each year with a trip afield.
Any time I handle one it makes me pause and smile at a memory of them.

Your story warms me. Congratulations.

Buckmaster

Portage
My other grandfather had a Winchester Model 12. He sold it in his estate auction in 1973 to move from Ohio to Florida. That gun is long gone but 3 years ago I bought a 1934 at auction for $300.00 in honor of the gun my grandfather used to use. He died last year at 98.5 years old.

After I secure the model 37 Ithaca I will post both.

It's been a 20 year quest that appears to become closure soon.

teej89

NE PA
Wow that's great news! Glad to hear you got it. There's years and years of memories to put on the gun still.

Ricer2231

Awesome story Ben. Can't wait to see the pics. I TOO have the only gun I remember my granddad having, an Eastern Arms model 94a 410 single shot. That will be passed down to my son when the time comes.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It was great reading this Ben! I'm glad it's in your possession and will be passed on down to your son. Awesome stuff!

Great gesture on the gift cards TOO!

Griz

NH
Its good your cousins decided to give you the gun. And by not taking any money for it shows what there made of. And you showing patience and graditude is also a good thing. It's an up lifting story. Your grandfather would be proud of all of you. Thanks for sharing

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just awesome. I'm glad you guys have fond memories of your grandpas. All my grandpas passed away before I was born so sadly I have no memories. I've tried my best to make it up to my grandkids.

I just noticed your grandpa was born in 1912 and so was my dad. Dad passed away in 1974.

Last edited: