Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes and a deer herd

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
http://www.huntingclub.com/straight-facts-how-coyotes-impact-deer-herds/
I was raised on a 108-acre farm in southwestern Missouri during the 1960s and ’70s. There were no or very few deer in the county where our family farm was located. But there were coyotes. I would hear them at night, see their tracks, and occasionally hear about a calf or chickens that had been killed by the coyotes.

Such losses were rare, as it was a rural area and coyotes were usually shot on sight. Many of the local folks would meet at a café for an early breakfast and determine where coyotes had been causing trouble. After breakfast, the men would cast (turn out) their dogs in the area where coyotes had recently been seen or where they had killed livestock, and the chase would be on! During most winter weekends, we would commonly see neighbors in their pickup trucks with dog boxes in the beds and CB antennas on the cabs, parked along our fence-rows. This happened weekend after weekend—for years.

At the same time, many locals trapped. Trappers recall the “fur boom” of the 80s. Fur prices reached an all-time high during the 1980s and many folks supplemented their income with raccoon and coyote pelts.

Much more at the link

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What I find interesting is how the club members didn't see the decline coming. It's very similar to what many here have seen. They (deer) have just disappeared seemingly over night. In reality, many of the deer seen each fall are fawns, and when they are not surviving to adulthood, there are far fewer deer in an area than one is accustomed to seeing.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Sunday of Muzzy we had 4 guys pushing a woods that butts up to I-75. Guy closest to interstate comes up on 5 yotes fighting and eating a dead 6 pt buck. He blasted 1 and the rest started running. I was posted outside the woods and started hearing the volley of booms working my way. Finally a Yote busted out my way and I hammered him through the back legs at about 80 yards on a full sprint. He made it to the next woodlot that we cant hunt. But in all we confirmed 2 kills inside the woods, plus the one I hit, and another guy swears he smoked one through the guts but they couldn't find it

reo

N.E. Ohio
So if I am reading all this yote stuff correctly, they are capable of killing about half the fawns?? Yikes!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
So if I am reading all this yote stuff correctly, they are capable of killing about half the fawns?? Yikes!

I would say yes. I have seen many large does this year without fawns tagging along. That along with what I'm reading, we're in trouble with these yotes. Anyone who hunts deer in Ohio should set a goal to kill a couple or more yotes.