Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Duck Boat

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Our group is looking to add a boat to the arsenal this year. We are looking for something that will accommodate 4 hunters. I like the ideas of an 18' flat bottom with a tiller drive 10+hp motor. Must have trailer. I'd rather have a blank pallet to work with, but would consider something fully decked out with blind and trolling motor. Not sure on budget just yet, but I'd like to think we could do well with $2,500. Doesn't need to be anything super nice, just something to get us on the water so we can broaden our horizons.

Just looking for some general suggestions and advice with this process.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For 4 guys, you're going to want at least an 18 footer. You could manage with a 16', but it'd be cramped. And go with a mod-V instead of the flat bottom... It'll handle occasional waves much better than a flat bottom yet still be just as stable. Also, I don't think a 10hp is going to cut it with a boat of that size. By the time you put guys and gear in the boat, that 10 horse will be the equivalent of a trolling motor. You're probably going to want at least a 40 or 50 hp motor. The boating market is a flooded market, at least with the bigger boats. However smaller aluminum boats in the 12-18' range hold their values really well and there's always a demand for them. I think you can make it happen for under 2500, but you'll have to do your homework. Oh, one other thing... A good quality trailer is a MUST. Some boats have hinged trailers which make dropping them into skinny water a piece of cake.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Definitely go with something bigger than a 10 . On a 18 ft boat you'd be so underpowered it would be a safety concern . Ya don't gotta tear the water up but ya at least wanna be able to plane out with the boat loaded with gear and dudes .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was looking to get at least. 25, but I really had no clue how to size the hp. My buddy's dad has a 40 on his and it's perfect.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Man you need a 150 like my brothers has in It.. You can cover some serious ground and get where the birds are...in a hurry

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Ya won't feel bad goin bigger thats for sure . I got a 150 on my 1872 bit since its a bowfishing boat it hasta haul more weight than a duck boat or fishing boat . On a light 1860 duck hull I'd go with 50 minimum ..plus , ya may wanna rig it for summer bowfishing...lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ya won't feel bad goin bigger thats for sure . I got a 150 on my 1872 bit since its a bowfishing boat it hasta haul more weight than a duck boat or fishing boat . On a light 1860 duck hull I'd go with 50 minimum ..plus , ya may wanna rig it for summer bowfishing...lol

Shhh. My wife will kill me if I get another hobby! But yes, I do plan to do a little of that off this boat as well. Word on the street is the bowfishing is pretty legit down here, so I see me getting in to it.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I've been looking at 1860's for awhile now, If your going to hunt 4 guys you'll want a 18' min. 3 guys, a dog, and dekes/equip out of my buddies 17' is tight! 18' 6" will be kinda tight with 4 guys and a dog. I'm looking at 1860's for 3 guys and a dog. When it comes to motors..... well that'll depend on what your hunting. I've hunted out of everything except a mud motor and cant seem to find someone with one to take it out and see if I like it but that's what I'm leaning towards on my future boat. I want something I can hunt the river, flooded fields, mud sloughs, shallow bays, and anything else I can come up with. They make a lot of nice mud motors out there with auto reverse now. I like my buddies jet motors but they're a pain in the ass during fall (cleaning leaves out of the jet) and hitting rock/sand bars on the river clogs the jet. I don't like stopping every couple hundred yards to clear the jet plate, but man they flat out fly and run badass in clear shallow water. Standard outboards are great but limit you to where you can hunt.... ran into this problem a couple weeks ago during the flood in a corn field. Corn fodder was just TOO much for the outboard to cut thru.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The surface drive mud motors are definitely nice for certain applications. Most of them will not allow you to really get up and go like a traditional outboard, but they have their advantages. Aside from running in shallow to no water, most of them are air cooled... Which is a big plus for hunting in cold weather. Theres really no reason or need to winterize a mud motor... At least during hinting season. They aren't exactly the kind of motor you want on your boat for a fishing trip though. They are obnoxiously loud.

countryhunter50

Mid motors are nice but it all depends on what you are hunting. Don't think that a mid motor is going to run through Ohio mud like you see on the videos of down south. What you want all depends on what you are going to use it for. Lake Erie,Ohio river or other dangerous waters you want all the motor the boat can handle. If you plan on hunting any big water at all you will want a mod v for sure. You don't want to run 2ft waves in a 18 flat with 4 guys.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
16' with Avery blind and 30hp Mercury. What say ye?

uploadfromtaptalk1409882464077.jpg