Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grillin

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Deer heart, chops, steak, and tenderloins in the garage!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389050225500.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389050225500.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 93

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
First time ever eating the heart, I like it! Marinated it in balsamic vinegar, a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper. If its TOO cold we grill in the garage!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My dad was a great cook. I remember once he cooked up the heart. He had onion & garlic suffed inside. It was like a little roast when it was pulled out of the oven. I'm tellin ya though, that was the strongest wild flavor that I swore I'd never eat again. I really thought he was a lousy cook just the same on that one. I'm hoping you guys are doing better with yours. I will admit though, he did an amazing job with the liver !

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I trimmed off all the white stuff and the little white veins that look like a spider web. Then I cut it up into one inch cubes and marinated it, it tasted like a fillet! It had a liver texture but it was good!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I keep all the hearts from my deer and my buddies. I like to slice them, run them through my cuber a couple times, then roll in seasoned flour, brown in the cast iron skillet. Then I deglaze the pan with some red wine. I'll then add some sliced onion, sliced mushrooms, and a package of brown gravy mix or kitchen bouquet and cover and simmer over the stove or bake in the oven on 375 for an hour or so. It comes out really tender. I don't care for liver that much due too the strong iron flavor, but heart has just a bit of it that is perfect. I like to serve this over some rice or mashed taters. Damn, I have about 4 hearts in the freezer, I think I know whats for sunday dinner while watching football

Buckmaster

Portage
I keep all of my hearts and the one's that Deer Camp donates to me.
They way I see it is its a one pound muscle so I clean them up and run them through my grinder when doing ground venison.
My heart consumption is with my ground meat blends.

Jamie

Ohio
very nice! lots of deer hearts go to waste. shanks, too. damn shame. Redhunter, that sounds absolutely fantastic. gonna have to do that. I usually just slice it thin, clean, remove the strings and sear them hot and fast in butter with onions, minced garlic, s & p.

I learned how to do that from a professional chef while moose hunting in 2003. said chef was the camp cook. I arrowed a moose on my birthday on that trip. a conspiracy ensued. to my surprise, that evening we dined on my fresh moose heart (which is the size of a football and fed us all) and escargot plucked fresh that afternoon, drank too much hooch, and the sumbich even baked me a cake. braised moose heart was delicious beyond what I can articulate. I weren't worthy of such celebration, but grateful nonetheless. those Newfies are something else.