Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Be careful sledding

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yesterday my family had a big scare. My wife took the kids sledding as I was heading out to plow snow. I was prepping and loading equipment and starting trucks for the guys coming in when my phone rang. It was my wife with my son in the background absolutely wailing. First sled down the hill at the reservoir (one of the only "hills" we have in our county) he had a major accident. He went down head first. With the snow blowing up in his face he couldn't see and went face first into a 6x6 wooden pole. Very scary incident for a parent.

My wife is an RN and along with the help of a complete stranger they loaded him in her Envoy and she headed for the ER. Before you say anything, my son did get up on his own as she was exiting her vehicle towards him. If unconscious or if he did not get up right away, I am certain she would NOT have moved him. As he was approaching her he was blubbering (as most of us would be) and nose bleeding. He said "I think I am going to pass out" and dropped as he got to her. She caught him and he came to within a couple seconds. She figured it would be quicker to take him directly to the ER than wait for a squad to get to where they were sledding so off she went.

Long story short, he was okay. I don't know how other than God was watching over us. Our reservoir is tall and steep. He had to be moving pretty good. To take the full impact with his face and walk away with cuts and bruises is a true blessing. They did a CT scan to be safe. They advised against it as it was his third one (yes he is my little "wild man") but my wife insisted. They do not recommend more than 3 CT scan before age 18 and this was his third before he was 10. He turned 9 back in May. I trust my wife's judgement with her training and she said "We need to rule out ANY possible issues. Xrays will only show broken bones. If there is a hemorrage or brain bleed or something we NEED to know right now." Who am I to argue? This is our son.

Today I checked in on him. The kids are at my parents' house since I was plowing the rest of the night and my wife had to work today. Once again, thank the Lord for having this support system in place and willing/able parents to help out. He was in excellent spirits and it was very reassuring to me. I truly do not know what I would do if something happened to one of our children. They and my wife are everything. Please be careful if you have the kids out sledding. It can happen very quickly. Might be time for some helmets for sledding. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm glad he's OK, he's obviously one tough kid!

He is Chad. I have seen him take soccer balls to the gut and face hard. He gets over the initial shock and gets after it even harder. First started riding a dirt bike when he was 4-5yrs old. After his maiden voyage he came in and my wife asked how he liked it. His reply "I want to learn how to do a backflip now." lmao

Still baffles me how he didn't break his nose, jaw, skull, or anything. He has a knot on his forehead, his right jaw is swollen, and his nose is bruised from his glasses. The nose pads on his glasses were smashed flat against the lenses. Can't believe he didn't break them either. haha Here is some more funny truth: His glasses say "X Games" on them. lmao

Buckmaster

Portage
Brings back memories of us kids sledding in the wooded ravine behind our house onto a frozen creek. Many trees hit and busted toboggans / sleds.
Two brothers drowned in that creek back in the 1950s. They fell through the ice. I know the third brother that survived.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I did see a glimpse on this on FB and am so thankful that he is okay. What a scary situation.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Damn man, glad he is alright. Seen some gnarly wrecks in my day, had a few myself. Sledding can be dangerous that's for sure! Hope he heels up soon!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you all! Third time I have been in St Ritas ER for sledding accidents. Stitches for me. Collar bone for a friend. Now my son follows the tradition of "being a kid in the winter". Hard to believe most of us haven't had this or worse happen when we were kids. Maybe most of us HAVE. lol I know we were fearless at the ages of my kids (9-13).

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Glad to here he is doing good Phil.

Now you should play a song for him. "I fought the law" except change the law to pole.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Glad he's OK Phil. No doubt that sledding can be dangerous. Must get his toughness from Momma. :smiley_blackeye:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I have a buddy who has now past away, he was paralized from the waist down from sledding. him and his buddy went backwards into a tree and his buddies knees broke his back

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just glad too hear no problems afterwards Phil... Kids are pretty pliable it's us old guys who have too watch out lol

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Really glad to hear the young man is OK and doing good, seen this on facebook also and glad to hear he is alright, amazing that he didnt get hurt any worse, if it was one of us guys it probably would of killed us!!!!!!!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad to hear he's OK Phil! Quite the scare for sure! Sure glad the good Lord stepped in for the Hicks family during this accident.

epe

Lancaster
Glad to hear he is ok. I took the gfs son a couple years ago. I rebroke a bone in my hand on a ramp...Guess ill never learn...lol