Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ML numbers

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not yet that I've seen. But the weekly numbers from dec 31 to jan 8 went up about 16,000.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks. With the computer age I see not reason there isn't a daily update. Hell all they have to do is push a button or look at a screen. But they didn't add that when they put the system in.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I didn't guess, but I'll guess that the weather is to blame.

Partially. The rest of the season is down -13.5% as a whole. While muzzy was around 20% low weather IMO probably only played a role in a 7-8% decline.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are certainly fewer deer and I'm sure we would have seen a decline regardless, but I think the weather played a decent part in it. Hell, there were two whole days that were absolutely brutally cold. It's fair to say most people never even left their homes during those two days. Most of NW Ohio was under level 3 snow emergency for two days.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There are certainly fewer deer and I'm sure we would have seen a decline regardless, but I think the weather played a decent part in it. Hell, there were two whole days that were absolutely brutally cold. It's fair to say most people never even left their homes during those two days. Most of NW Ohio was under level 3 snow emergency for two days.

So they adjust and go the two days prior. Which was a weekend and when most participation is anyway. Hunter participation isn't static. If they know Monday and Tuesday will be bad most try to get it done earlier. Tonk and I spoke about this very happening at our last gathering. The more time you give the less effective people are. The tighter you constrain them the harder they try and the more they kill. His words. I think the cold had an impact. But I believe it was minimal in the scope of things as it was weekdays and the third and fourth day of the season. Days where participation usually falters low anyway. Season as a whole is down 13.5% and muzzy was down around 20%, I'll give you the difference of -6.5% and admit that is weather related.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What would the DOW say is the perfect temp for hunting is to where it can totally be ruled out as an excuse for low harvest numbers. 45 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees?!?

........and yes, there is some sarcasm oozing out here TOO! Some areas seem to be doing find but others are devoid of deer!