Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I heard a rumor....

rooster85

Lake County
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388936979.614850.jpg

teej89

NE PA
Sorry guys no bone but a fairly comical story. Got a doe this AM. This year had it's ups and downs started out getting great pics of some shooters on the private property hunting I HAD permission to hunt on. Ended killing a doe with my bow on that property but then from pics of trespassers on my trail cams, my stand getting stolen, and to stolen trail cams I was done with the place. So I started hunting public.

Anyways fast forward to today. I woke up at 3:30 and felt sick as a dog and set my alarm for 445 to see if I felt any better. Well got up felt like crap and was laying in bed propped up on my elbows and had myself 75% convinced I was just gonna sleep in. I looked at the weather and saw the wind was decent and 5MPH so I was like ah hell I gotta go. I didn't want to go so bad I didn't shower and I just put all my clothes on for the car ride instead of leaving em in the bag and changing in the parking lot. I was completely relying on the smoker lol

Was a beautiful morning saw a flock of turkeys and I'm bout falling asleep when I look up and see brown in between two trees. I was thinking it was just a log but I pulled up the binos anyways. It's a doe and two more does following behind. They were working right to left and I was like fugg when they get to my left they're gonna be directly downwind of me I gotta get on em before that. Even tho I did smoke up this morning I was a bit hesitant. And now starts the circus act.... So they're bout 120yds out and in an opening but I gotta lean to one side and I'm on my turkey seat with th foldable legs and I'm leaning and leaning and as I'm settling on her shoulder the leg folded and I dropped the 4" to the ground. Well now I'm sitting in mud shooting a kinda hybrid offhand and I settle on the shoulder and as soon as I pull the trigger I flinched low. Was pissed because I knew I missed. Well I look up and they're all still standing there looking at each other I'm like what the hell is going on up there. So I grab my speed loader and put the pellets in and put the bullet in and ram it down. Now they're fairly calm. I flip the top open for the primer and it goes shooting outta the speed loader into the snow. Fugg. I am feeling thru my bag while watching them and pull out another speed loader. Empty. I pull another out and get the primer out put it in my right hand. Now I need the primer tool to get her in and I'm fiddling thru my bag and find it in the bottom. I get it squeezed between my index and pinky finger and in the process of getting it outta the bag I hit the strap and it too falls in the snow. Good grief. So I take off my glove get the primer in my fingers holding it by my nails and finally get it in place. All the while the does are now feeding towards me but to my left. Down wind.... So now I'm waiting for a clear shot and they're on the ridge across from me 60 yds out but it's too thick. I see the doe looking sketchy and she's throwing her nose up into the wind and I was like man I gotta be busted now. Nothing. She kept on walking the ridge. I finally get a shot when she's 50yds out and I squeeze off the trigger and click. I was like my god I mustn't have gotten the primer in. Now she's on full alert and looking right at me and stomping her foot. I pull back the plug and the primer is there but no dent. I settle back down on her vitals pull the trigger and... nothing. She's ticked now, looking around stomping her foot. I pulled back the hammer one more time and said pap if you're watching this and laughing at me please let this damn gun go off. I pulled on that trigger a third time and BOOM! She ran 20yds and piled up.

I was pretty excited I haven't shot a doe with a gun in 6 years because we stopped shooting em on our property in PA. But man my heart was racing like crazy during this entire incident. Sorry for the blurry pic and the fact I look like I have a mullet lol!

I threw the scent smoker in there because man that thing works! I can't tell you the times I've had deer downwind of me and haven't been busted.

it took me an hour and a half to drag her out, I just checked out the distance and the elevation online. It was just over 3/4 of a mile and my start elevation was 710ft and ended at 950ft. That was one hell of a haul.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome story and a great doe. It's unbelievable how good that smoker works until you're caught in a situation like that and you see it with your own eyes.