Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Count down!!!!

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
140 days and a wake up till we will be in Newfoundland hunting black bear!!!!!!!! We have decided on driving there instead of flying due to cost and one pansy don't want to get on a plane! lol, this should be a interesting and awesome trip, we will be hunting with Oceanside country outfitters, the outfitters name is Hazen Chippett, his lodge sits right at the southern tip of Notre Dame bay, has a 100% sighting and 90% kill rate on black bears in the spring season, he said his kill rate would be higher but alot of his clients are return clients and are seeking a bigger bear than their last one, all our firearm paperwork has been mailed and we will be scheduling our ferry ride soon as they open the reservations for May, to say the least I am excited!!!!! One down side of the hunt is that there is no no cell phone service that will work with our phones there and no internet in the lodge but Hazen told me he does have internet in his home and said if we needed to post something on the net he would be more than happy to take us to his home to use his internet, so I wont be able to make day by day posts but if one of the three of us scores then we will post some pics.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
What gun are you using?

Steve , gonna be using a 300 win mag, at first we thought about bows but seeing as this will probably be a once in a lifetime trip we decided to use something that might help our odds some, lol, one of the other guys is using a 300 win mag also and the other one is using a 35 whaley

Last edited:

DXT

Good luck on the drive. Drove to Wyoming last year, 25 hours for me and my buddy. We took turns driving and sleeping. Did all but 50 miles before we had to both stop and sleep. Trip there you are so pumped you can drive and drive. Trip back home felt a little longer.

DXT

I would take the bows. Went a few years back to New Brunswick on a black bear hunt. Had a shot opportunities on some bear and killed a 150 pounder. Had a hard time judging size. I've gotten better and Want to go back soon for a 7+ foot rug. Was going to go this spring but can't get any of my buddies to go with me.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
24 days and counting till we leave !!! to say I'm excited is an understatement!!!!!! got everything in order, rifle is sighted in, and what gear i need is packed, rainsuit, bug suit, etc..... cant wait!!!!!!!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That has to be a great thing to look forward to! Can't wait to see how it all happens for ya!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Have a great time and I would pack your bows also as you might decide you want to hunt with them once you get there and see how they are set up. I have been on four archery bear hunts and loved it so know you will have a great time. Good luck.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
24 days and counting till we leave !!! to say I'm excited is an understatement!!!!!! got everything in order, rifle is sighted in, and what gear i need is packed, rainsuit, bug suit, etc..... cant wait!!!!!!!!!

I'll be there Friday night I'll send some pictures too you via this thread..... We'll from St. John's that is lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Tad, here's a few pictures from St. John's that I snapped.... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399849437.702293.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399849475.288568.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399849511.922895.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1399849549.643832.jpg