Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

National Zoo and Deer problem

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Cheetahs Kill Whitetail Deer at National Zoo
WASHINGTON — Two cheetahs at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo came across unexpected prey and the result was predictable.

Zoo officials say a white-tailed deer was killed by the cheetahs after it apparently jumped into their enclosure on Friday. A spokeswoman calls it “a normal and expected reaction” by the carnivorous big cats.

The zoo says a zookeeper heard noises from the cheetah pen shortly before noon and found the deer carcass next the cheetah siblings, named Carmelita and Justin.

Doctors will examine the carcass to make sure the deer didn’t have any diseases.

No witnesses saw the deer entering the cheetah habitat — other than the cheetahs.

Deer are plentiful in Rock Creek Park, which borders the zoo. The National Park Service has used sharpshooters to control the deer population.

On a semi related note I also found this......
[video=youtube_share;YE-hH3X1tKY]http://youtu.be/YE-hH3X1tKY[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
"oh no"

I think the guy was crying. Hmmm. . . .what does the tiger do? Natural instinct dummie.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The old man was crying and the kid was like that's cool..... Part of the food chain.... Squirrels are close too the bottom.... Apparently he missed that part of the class.....