Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cabela's Stand Hunter Extreme Insulated Coveralls

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Sorry this took so long for me to post but I got busy with the holidays and all that crap my wife makes me do. I'm sure you guys understand. Anyways I have to say that this coverall is by far the warmest thing I've ever worn. I used it for four days straight when the highs never got out of the teens and the lows at or below zero. I never even remotely got cool never mind cold. It has heavier amounts of insulation in the butt and back than it does in the legs and arms. This keeps the core warm and still allows you to move your arms and legs freely. I did shoot my compound with it on and there was no string interference at all. The handwarmer it comes with is a nice addition. I like that it snaps on to the suit so it doesn't sag. I put one hot hands packet inside it and my hands were toasty. The built in carry bag is a nice touch TOO. It's a little tricky at first to get it all in the bag but once you figure it out it only takes a few seconds. Now you may be thinking why bother with the bag I'll just wear it walking to my stand. I did that the first day and I was sweating like crazy when I got there and I didn't even walk 1/2 a mile. I strongly recommend packing it in and putting it on at your stand. The carry bag has a sewn in shoulder strap. Every night I did walk out with it on but I unzipped the chest and legs. Plus I didn't care if I was sweating when I got back to the truck since I was headed home. Now I did not do any all day sits but I bet this thing could keep you warm for 10 hours or however long you need it to. As far as layering goes you don't need much. I wore my Under Armour 5.0 base layer with a mock turtleneck on top and my early season lightweight bibs on bottom. I hiked in with that on and put the suit right on over it. That was plenty. It also has a hood that can be removed but I left it on. In fact I wore my safety harness under the coverall and unzipped the back of the hood just enough to feed my tether strap through. Worked great. I bought this for half price and it was still $220 so it's a pricey garment. If I had to pay full price that would have been a different story. Last I checked the Cabelas website they had them marked at $250. Still worth it at that price if you ask me. Our deer season here is over so I won't get much of a chance to use it for a while unless I go after some coyotes or go ice fishing. Since you guys in Ohio have the whole month of January to hunt you've got plenty of time to put it to the test. If you decide to order one I suggest getting a size bigger than you normally do. I'm 6'1" 225 and I got a 2XL and I'm glad I did. Fits perfect with some room for extra layering if I ever need it. Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions.

AJ

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great review. Thanks for the update. Still looking for some options for myself. Not sure in regards to the bulk and compound bow. You said no interference, but I am thinking this might be a personal matter for each person. If I buy the XL to fit my arm and leg length, the extra bulk might get in the way. I am 6' 175lb so that extra room might hurt me. I dunno.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a really good couple of sales at the Lima gunshow on Saturday so I ordered a pair in XL. The Cabela insulated coveralls I have now are about 25 yrs. old. Time to upgrade. Thanks for the headsup.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I ordered it on Sunday, shipped Monday, and delivered on Tuesday. Special price for XL 249.99 and 5.00 shipping.
This suit looks great. Much better than my Cabela's 25 yr. old insulated suit.
Almost thought about going out to just set and try it out tonight. I did say almost.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I ordered it on Sunday, shipped Monday, and delivered on Tuesday. Special price for XL 249.99 and 5.00 shipping.
This suit looks great. Much better than my Cabela's 25 yr. old insulated suit.
Almost thought about going out to just set and try it out tonight. I did say almost.

Try it while it's still real cold out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Try it while it's still real cold out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the headsup on the outfit. I will try it. My wife just shook her head and rolled her eyes when she seen it. All she said was "won't it just be better to stay inside"? Then she says "what ever".

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Thanks for the headsup on the outfit. I will try it. My wife just shook her head and rolled her eyes when she seen it. All she said was "won't it just be better to stay inside"? Then she says "what ever".

When my wife saw it on me she said I looked like an Ewok. She gave me that look all wives give their husbands when we buy something new for hunting. I'm sure we've all seen it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know that look very well. :smiley_blackeye:

WIth you on this one. I believe my wife is "almost" past the point of even getting that look anymore. She sees a box and doesn't pause, flinch, hesitate, or even ask questions. I am a lucky man. lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When I bought my HBS, my bride slid into it and took a nap... she never complained much about that purchase. :)

themedic

OHIO
What are the chances you would encounter rain while wearing it?

Seems to me if it is warm enough for rain, it's too warm for this suit.

A few years ago, opening day of Ohio Shotgun was cold with high winds and rain. I froze my ass off! Days like that. I guess the day when I make a large clothing purchase (cause right now I wear military based clothing) it will be the most versatile gear I can buy/afford.

Shoulder Blade

A few years ago, opening day of Ohio Shotgun was cold with high winds and rain. I froze my ass off! Days like that. I guess the day when I make a large clothing purchase (cause right now I wear military based clothing) it will be the most versatile gear I can buy/afford.

Unfortunately I have not come across the perfect gear setup yet either. It seems like every brand or line lacks a few features that would set it apart from all the rest.

Shoulder Blade

Sorry this took so long for me to post but I got busy with the holidays and all that crap my wife makes me do. I'm sure you guys understand. Anyways I have to say that this coverall is by far the warmest thing I've ever worn. I used it for four days straight when the highs never got out of the teens and the lows at or below zero. I never even remotely got cool never mind cold. It has heavier amounts of insulation in the butt and back than it does in the legs and arms. This keeps the core warm and still allows you to move your arms and legs freely. I did shoot my compound with it on and there was no string interference at all. The handwarmer it comes with is a nice addition. I like that it snaps on to the suit so it doesn't sag. I put one hot hands packet inside it and my hands were toasty. The built in carry bag is a nice touch TOO. It's a little tricky at first to get it all in the bag but once you figure it out it only takes a few seconds. Now you may be thinking why bother with the bag I'll just wear it walking to my stand. I did that the first day and I was sweating like crazy when I got there and I didn't even walk 1/2 a mile. I strongly recommend packing it in and putting it on at your stand. The carry bag has a sewn in shoulder strap. Every night I did walk out with it on but I unzipped the chest and legs. Plus I didn't care if I was sweating when I got back to the truck since I was headed home. Now I did not do any all day sits but I bet this thing could keep you warm for 10 hours or however long you need it to. As far as layering goes you don't need much. I wore my Under Armour 5.0 base layer with a mock turtleneck on top and my early season lightweight bibs on bottom. I hiked in with that on and put the suit right on over it. That was plenty. It also has a hood that can be removed but I left it on. In fact I wore my safety harness under the coverall and unzipped the back of the hood just enough to feed my tether strap through. Worked great. I bought this for half price and it was still $220 so it's a pricey garment. If I had to pay full price that would have been a different story. Last I checked the Cabelas website they had them marked at $250. Still worth it at that price if you ask me. Our deer season here is over so I won't get much of a chance to use it for a while unless I go after some coyotes or go ice fishing. Since you guys in Ohio have the whole month of January to hunt you've got plenty of time to put it to the test. If you decide to order one I suggest getting a size bigger than you normally do. I'm 6'1" 225 and I got a 2XL and I'm glad I did. Fits perfect with some room for extra layering if I ever need it. Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions.

AJ

Looks like they are on sale again