Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Base layers 101

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I almost feel like this topic deserves a sticky. I also feel for anyone who has spent money on several different base layers trying to find "the right one", your input would be greatly appreciated.

I am ready to spend some money. I got some gift certificates for Bass Pro and Cabelas for Christmas. There is one area I feel I fall short in hunting gear: Base layers for extreme cold and wind. I realize the wind is tough to beat, and also realize outer layers with wind sheer material help combat this one well. I have been there and I have read threads from others also looking for a good answer to extremely cold hunts. The massively bulky extreme cold outer layers have been tried by a few on here. The Warm Bag or Heater Body Suit works for others. I actually have a Warm Bag. It works. It is simply a bit of a pain and with the extra gift cards, I am going to try a different route. My hopes are to beat the extreme cold temps while NOT making it too bulky to shoot a bow.

What I was initially considering were the merino wool base layers. Now I am not ruling out UA or any of the others. Even the Redhead brand has me wondering if it would do the job. I really don't know. As I do my research, I am seeing there are different thickness/weave/loft/weight/etc available. Some call midweight or expedition weight, others call it 3.0 or 4.0, while others simply state they are for extreme cold but have their own brand specific name. I have looked at some of the UA stuff and checked it out in a store over the weekend. It seems a bit different than other extreme cold layers I have seen. While it appears a bit bulkier than the typical spandex stuff or even the Merino layers, it didn't look overly restrictive (considering its purpose). I realize I am not getting out of this purchase for under $100 for a top and bottom. Might not even get a top/bottom bought under $150. I just hate to spend $150-200 and then be disappointed and have to do it all over again.

Let's hear opinions on best base layers for extreme cold with mobility not being jeopardized anymore than possible. For now, I am willing to throw price out the window. Bottom line: If you are cold, you aren't on stand as long and you aren't killing the big boys. Time to spend some money and gear up for single digits before I squander my gift cards on something stupid. lol

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Right before gun season I purchased the UA infrared top, bottoms and full head mask. Honest to goodness it is the best clothing purchase I've made. I got those along with a 2 pack of merino wool socks and I believe I dropped about $225. This was at Dick's in Findlay. I've worn them during some cold sits and I would recommend them to anyone. Warmth has a limitless pricetag for me

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I start every cold weather hunt the same way now that I added the Cabelas ECWCS Polartec layers to my arsenal. UA Cold gear top and bottom, Copperhead top and bottom, then the Cabeals ECWCS. My UA Cold Gear is 7 years old and I have more than got my monies worth out of it. I will be purchasing the Base 2.0 UA layers for next season as I've just about worn my old ones out. I love the Copperhead layers as they take all the moisture wicked from the UA and transport it yet another layer deep away from my body. It's very well made and does an amazing job at cutting down on odor. The Cabeals ECWCS stuff I bought is simply amazing. I wore just those 3 top layers while picking up decoys in a 33 degree rain two weeks ago and stayed warm. I was shocked at how much moisture those layers could deal with and still keep me dry and warm. I have no issues with movement with these layers and will combine them with some quality windproof gear for next season and I'll have tackled the getting cold issue.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I love my Icebreaker Merino Wool baselayers. I have the 200 weight bottoms and wore them during gun season. I was very warm and too warm while walking most of the days. Depending on my activity level and the temperature of the day I will wear multiple layers of the tops from 100-190 weight. No more than 2 though.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Cabelas ECW stuff. If I was going to try to do an all day sit in frigid temps it would be that and my merino for my base layers. I've never been a big fan of the UA cold gear stuff, just never seemed to keep me warm.

Most of my baselayers and experience are from snowskiing.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
On this past trip to Ohio it got colder than we planned for. Neither my buddy or I brought our cold weather clothes and we had 4 straight days where it was around 10 degrees in the morning and the highs never got above the low 20's. After one day of freezing our butts off on stand we went to Dunham's in Zanesville to buy some stuff. We both bought the Under Armour 5.0 base layers. Top and bottom. The set cost around $180 but it was worth it. I also use merino wool base layers for less than extreme conditions and those work well with temps down to 30. My merino stuff is made by SmartWool.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On this past trip to Ohio it got colder than we planned for. Neither my buddy or I brought our cold weather clothes and we had 4 straight days where it was around 10 degrees in the morning and the highs never got above the low 20's. After one day of freezing our butts off on stand we went to Dunham's in Zanesville to buy some stuff. We both bought the Under Armour 5.0 base layers. Top and bottom. The set cost around $180 but it was worth it. I also use merino wool base layers for less than extreme conditions and those work well with temps down to 30. My merino stuff is made by SmartWool.

Now that is very helpful info! i was seriously thinking about the Merino wool until I went to purchase and was a bit leery due to the number of options. Figured I better do a little more research. Thanks Ajupsman.

Ricer2231

I have always had a problem with being cold in the stand until this year. I read a lot of posts here and abroad and finally decided to stay warm I was going to have to throw the cotton in the trash, spend some money and stop trying to buy warmth with pocket change . My base layer consists of UA cold gear top and bottom, the compression gear. I know some people don't like the compression stuff but it does a great job of wicking the moisture away from your body. Layer two is UA Infrared Storm Gear top and bottom. Again this wicks the moisture even farther from your body and is extremely warm and wind resistant. It's not wind proof but does a great job blocking the wind. I haven't needed any more layering for the bottom half but have worn a merino wool vest on top. Its warm TOO. I picked it up at the Goodwill. Haha. For my outside layer I have a pair of brush buster camo pants and and fleece bomber jacket. I know it may sound like an Under Armor ad but the stuff really works for me. I have been warmer, by far, this year than any other year.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
"I have always had a problem with being cold in the stand until this year. I read a lot of posts here and abroad and finally decided to stay warm I was going to have to throw the cotton in the trash, spend some money and stop trying to buy warmth with pocket change ."

Great point Ricer. I bet I've spent more money than I care to count on cheap hunting clothes and base layers over the the years. I have a friend who works for SmartWool and I got some merino wool base layers and socks from them last year at a discount. That helped me finally realized the difference between quality clothes and cheap clothes. Since then I've been replacing all my hunting clothes with higher end stuff like Under Armour, SmartWool and Cabelas outfitter series. Now I didn't get a deer this year but I did manage to stay warm.

DXT

My friend bought merino wool base layers this year and has loved them. He has talked them up so well that this will be my next purchase.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My base layer consists of UA cold gear top and bottom, the compression gear. I know some people don't like the compression stuff but it does a great job of wicking the moisture away from your body. Layer two is UA Infrared Storm Gear top and bottom.

My wife bought me the compression cold gear top last year. Note for you guys close to a TJMax, they sell it there and she got a bargain. I used some Cabelas Cash to get the bottoms to match last year. It helped. I still have some Rocky mid and heavy weight thermals I put on top of them when it was real cold. They were okay but not when we were close to single digits or low teens.

If you had the UA compression cold gear, would you go with Merino for the next layer or UA? Maybe I had better look into this closer. I was thinking the UA level 3-4-5 were indeed compression style layers. Are they not?

Man, it would be so much easier if I were a real man like Milo and able to hunt in muh loin cloth with a spear. Or whatever a tauntaun is. I suspect it is like a kilt or hula skirt. He struck me as a little "off" when I met him. Makes his own beer, arrahs, and probably even guts his own sheep to make his own sheepskin condoms. Dude ain't right. lmao

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like to wear Copperhead as my first layer, because of its moisture-wicking and scent killing capabilities. Also, the Copperhead garments don't compress your skin near as much as other compression type garments, so I believe blood circulation is improved. Next I put on Rocky heavy weight thermals.... They're very similar to polartech. If it's really cold, I'll then put on a Predator Camo Fleece vest. Over all that goes my Predator Camo fleece jacket and pants. Predator's fleece gear have incredible wind stopping capability. I don't care what base layers you wear... If you don't wear something that blocks the wind you're not going to stay warm... Period.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
My wife bought me the compression cold gear top last year. Note for you guys close to a TJMax, they sell it there and she got a bargain. I used some Cabelas Cash to get the bottoms to match last year. It helped. I still have some Rocky mid and heavy weight thermals I put on top of them when it was real cold. They were okay but not when we were close to single digits or low teens.

If you had the UA compression cold gear, would you go with Merino for the next layer or UA? Maybe I had better look into this closer. I was thinking the UA level 3-4-5 were indeed compression style layers. Are they not?

Man, it would be so much easier if I were a real man like Milo and able to hunt in muh loin cloth with a spear. Or whatever a tauntaun is. I suspect it is like a kilt or hula skirt. He struck me as a little "off" when I met him. Makes his own beer, arrahs, and probably even guts his own sheep to make his own sheepskin condoms. Dude ain't right. lmao

ya buncha hacks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XqmvkWlHM

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire

The UA 5.0 is technically a compression garment but I bought a size bigger. This makes them loose enough to wear something under them. I wear a set of thin merino wool baselayers and then put the 5.0 on top of that. I like the merino against my skin because it does the best job wicking moisture. On top of the 5.0 I'll put on my outer layers. If I'm wearing the Cabelas wool coverall on stand I just wear light bibs and a mock turtleneck. If it's not quite cold enough for the coverall I will put a vest or merino wool sweater on and wear my UA Rut pants and jacket. I just started this system this year but it seems to be working better than anything else I've ever tried.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Star Wars. Yep. Believe I saw that one in the theatre when I was a pup. Thanks Milo. I had discarded this from my memory banks. Been awhile but it came back to me when watching the reenactment. lmao

Thanks ajupsman. Still haven't pulled the trigger. Might wait a few days or even a couple weeks to see if anyone else chimes in.

Strizzi

I never owned base layers until about 2 weeks ago, cabelas put some under armour Evo tops on clearance and I picked one up. I wore it for the first time this past weekend and was amazed at the difference. I wore the UA base layer, 2 long sleeve shirts and my hoodie and was fine. (And I admit I'm a girl when it comes to the cold). That night I went and bought the pants. Plus they are scent control so that's a big plus. I'm honestly 100% satisfied so far but Friday will be the big test it's suppose to be 9 degrees.

** I believe all UA is on sale right now on amazon

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I switched from UA to silver lined base layers and Cabelas ECWCS polar weight layers, and have been very happy with them so far. Granted, I haven't spent near as much time hunting this year, but they have done well on the couple cool days I hunted.