Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2013/2014 hunting with the hounds.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I have mentioned hunting with the hounds so I'm just going to start a new thread IMG_20131229_161650.jpg these two coyotes make numbers eleven and twelve for our hunting group. We did have one get away yesterday after the dogs ran him into a crossover pipe. We ran him around the section and he finally hit the pipe, so I told the guys let's push it out of the pipe and let my 7 year old shoot it when it comes out. So we put the chimney sweep together and started it down the pipe. Now mind you I was with jace watching the end of the pipe without a gun and another buddy was backing him up. Well we poked the coyote out and my boy misses high with his 410 so Im think in no big deal brad has this under control, wrong bongo, the coyote made it to 60 yards before he hit him lol and that was ant enoughto put him down he made it through that two mile section and gave us the slip sosomewhere I'm sure he died but we just don't get too put him on a stretcher. But today we had one dead by 830 this am. Hoping for more snow before next Friday so we can do it again. Hopefully I will get more pic if I remember my tablet too take them with.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One of these days I gotta make it over and sit in on one of these hunts.... I'm really intrigued about all of this, hope it doesn't ruin me on rabbits hahaha....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
One of these days I gotta make it over and sit in on one of these hunts.... I'm really intrigued about all of this, hope it doesn't ruin me on rabbits hahaha....

Nah I still love a good beagle running a rabbit by ya three times. Your more then welcome to ride along, and join in on the action. Don't get me wrong we don't kill them every day but we do alright. The days you kill 4 or 5 make up for two or three days you don't jump a one. Snow is a coyote and fox hunters dream. With out it its a crap shoot. Its addicting its just one large scale rabbit hunt with a few more buddies

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That's why I think it's right down my alley lol... I love running dogs and being able too do that with the added bonus of dropping some yotes.... That's a win win situation right there....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Where are you hunting at yotehunter? A supervisor at my work hunts yotes with dogs around Tuscarawas/Tappen area.

We hunt western Allen eastern Van Wert and south western Putnam and southern Spaulding counties between the small towns of spencerville delphos venedocia ottoville and cloverdale in west central Ohio or northwest I guess you would say.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Yote hunter do you ever get down to auglaize county? I've heard guys talk about a group that has dogs from spencerville area and was wondering if you could be the group. There's a group of guys that follow tracks around here. When I see them out and about I always stop and talk to them. I want to see i they have any that are unusual in color. Either way sounds like fun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am right down the road. I really NEED to meet up with you guys one of these hunts.

J- you make it this way to watch them and you know we will put you up at my place. You are more than welcome.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I am right down the road. I really NEED to meet up with you guys one of these hunts.

J- you make it this way to watch them and you know we will put you up at my place. You are more than welcome.

Mighty nice of you too offer Phil... I most certainly would look forward too that....

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Sounds like a AWESOME time!!!! Chimney sweep!!! Now thats a great idea!!! That yote had to come out of that pipe quicker than john force leaving the start line at norwalk LOL!!!

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yote hunter do you ever get down to auglaize county? I've heard guys talk about a group that has dogs from spencerville area and was wondering if you could be the group. There's a group of guys that follow tracks around here. When I see them out and about I always stop and talk to them. I want to see i they have any that are unusual in color. Either way sounds like fun.
It could be us but there are guys from buckland that hunt down around wapak and st Marys and buckland I know several guys from that bunch. There is four groups around this area that hunt hounds for yotes that's why I truly don't believe coyotes are killing all our deer there is more too it than that we really do keep the coyotes in check.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Sounds like a AWESOME time!!!! Chimney sweep!!! Now thats a great idea!!! That yote had to come out of that pipe quicker than john force leaving the start line at norwalk LOL!!!

Yea we welded a nine penny nail on it and made a hook to pull them out with lol there are alot of ditches around that have surface pipes that will drain a field to a ditch and usually they are 20 to 30 feet. So several years ago we thought this idea up. No more coyotes getting away because they ran too a pipe or a hollow log lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have never really felt we have been flooded by coyotes around here. It very well could be because the guys getting after them. Not saying it is "easy", but I would have to think we could flush our areas and get the yotes in the open much easier than say southern Ohio or areas with lots of woods/hills.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I have never really felt we have been flooded by coyotes around here. It very well could be because the guys getting after them. Not saying it is "easy", but I would have to think we could flush our areas and get the yotes in the open much easier than say southern Ohio or areas with lots of woods/hills.

Oh yes definitely I couldn't imagine running the hounds down in Jackson where I bow hunt. But I do think calling them down there may be easier. And yes I do know people in or four groups and we are a tight knit bunch, but I do know that there was over 100 coyotes killed in in just Putnam Allen Auglaize VanWert and Putnam co and I'm going to guess closer to 150. And that's just the groups with dogs not guys shooting them with a bow or calling or groups that get out and track them just for fun. Its hard to imagine the numbers out there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know some guys who hunt track them on foot in the snow. I believe they knocked down 30+ last year. More Auglaize county if I am not mistaken. That is a chunk in itself and they are on foot. Myself and a couple buddies usually account for a few every year. Last year there was one taken by snow mobile by one of my buddies. lmao

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Well at 7 o'clock this morning I walked out and got in the truck and the temp was 12 below. Yes we were going coyote hunting. We found tracks at most of our usually sections. So we pin pointed the first one after it crossed out of three sections. I got on the track and started tracking and sure enough I jumped him out of the a ditch and we shot that one right away. It was a huge male. The next one came out of the section we found the first one come out of and we drove and checked each road and finally pin pointed the second one about 7 miles from where we started it and along with several other tracks along the way. So we turn the dog lose and me and another guy walked thru the section. It was polluted with tracks the dog had a heck of a time. We got to the end and nothing. So we turned back around and went thru with the dog again this time the dog hit the good track and took off out of the thicket way west out in the open. When the dog got to the corn stalk field the coyote stood up and it was a stand off . The coyote broke going north and went three miles before it stopped well he didn't make out of that section. So we figured out another track that we seen earlier and jumped it which was one section east of were we jumped the second it also went three miles to a river section and we put the dog on him . The dog took him out of the river to the north end of the section and then turned going east so we turned it again and back to the walkers he came. Went by one with the rifle and he knocked him down but didn't kill him. He made it back to the ice and started south down the ice but by this time the dog was caught up to him and had him bayed up. We finished him off. I don't have pictures again because my forgetful ass forgot my tablet again. But these coyotes made numbers 13 14 and 15. And if given more day light I bet we could have got after a few more. But with only 4 guys and one dog and two trucks we done pretty good today