Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzleloader accessories,etc

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
This is the first Muzzleloader I have ever owned. You guys that have had them and have had experience with them, is there any suggestions on things I should be buying for it besides the loads?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Stay away from any kit form accessories and buy them individually.... Powder measure, speed loaders, powder flask cleaning material and some people like too put a piece of scotch tape or electrical tape over the opening of the muzzle too keep moisture and foreign objects out of the barrel....

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
thanks for the input guys. I ned to put a grocery list together , as I am going to buy all my stuff tonight. I want to get it all before everything is gone.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
thanks for the input guys. I ned to put a grocery list together , as I am going to buy all my stuff tonight. I want to get it all before everything is gone.

Wayne first thing you need too ask yourself is pellets or loose powder if pellets then the flask and measure tool not needed....

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I went with pellets to begin with because then hit on the wallet was a little less due to not needing all the additional black powder tools. I'm too new to all this you give you a good idea of what you need. I wouldn't think you would need a ball puller with the encore. Does it have a speed breech?

runhunter

a knife to mark your ram rod.... just in case you accidentally shoot 300 grains of 777 and 500 grains of Shockwave out of your Omega... Not saying I'm dumb enough to do that, but it COULD happen....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Couldn't agree more on marking the ram rod. Seat your bullet/powder the same every time. You would be surprised how tough it can get after a few rounds to seat in the same place. Marking your ram rod will tell you when you aren't fully seated. Trust me here. It will save you a ton of money thinking the bullet/powder combo is erratic or the scope is junk.

Plenty of patches to run thru would be a good idea.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I bought one of those shotgun shell holders that fit over the butt stock TOO put my speed loaders in, works pretty good.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I bought one of those shotgun shell holders that fit over the butt stock TOO put my speed loaders in, works pretty good.

Saw a T/C sling at cabelas that had two tubes attached too it too the tune of 47.00 and the first thing I thought of was those type shotgun she'll holders would of been much cheaper....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Saw a T/C sling at cabelas that had two tubes attached too it too the tune of 47.00 and the first thing I thought of was those type shotgun she'll holders would of been much cheaper....

$47 is quite the rip off. I think I paid $5 years ago for the shell holder I got lol

Lundy

All good information from everybody.

From a safety view there are a few things you can not afford to not check or verify.

Two were mentioned above;

Always make sure you remove your ramrod prior to shooting. Seems simple but guns blowup and hurt people every year from this.

Mark your ramrod to ensure your load is seated and that you have not double loaded. Even more people are hurt by this every year. I use yellow electrical tape wrapped around my ramrod. This allows me to change it based upon what load I am shooting and more importantly it is very hard to not notice any variances. Much easier to see that yellow tape than a score mark with a knife on the rod.

Make sure you are using the proper powder in the proper amounts, understand volume measurement versus weight, what your gun is rated for and don't make any mistakes. Guys lose parts of hands every year to this one.

periodically verify that you bullet is still properly seated. Walking around all day, or multiple days can move a loose fitting bullet off of the powder charge. Many of the black powder substitutes don't need compression to ignite. If your bullet has moved off of the powder charge it will act like a barrel obstruction and you will have a very bad day. I had this happen to me on a older Hawkin style rifle many years ago. I was fortunate enough to see the bullet peaking out of the end of the barrel prior to shooting it. I now just out of habit check my gun a couple of times a day. I want to KNOW it is still seated, not THINK, it is still seated..

I love shooting MZ's but you have a lot of opportunity for shooter error, be careful and they are a lot of fun.

Lundy

By the way more bad mistakes and injuries with MZ's occur at the rifle range or practicing than they do hunting. Shooting ramrods and double loading are normally just distraction based mistakes

It is way too easy to become distracted by our buddies or other shooters at the range. You need to really focus on your loading procedures and double check everything, and then check one more time, it is in your, and those near you, best interest.

Good luck