Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flintlock

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
My wife bought me a flintlock for my Christmas present; Lyman Great Plains Hunter. This gun isn't your normal 1/60 round, iron sighted, round ball shooting flintlock. This gun has a 1/32 twist and came with the aftermarket 57 GPR peep sights. :smiley_bril::pickle: (I'll post pictures later).

The gun is used (I scoped it out a few weeks ago and they held it for me,,,errrr I mean my wife), but in near new condition.

Yesterday I took it to the range and I'll admit I was a bit concerned because I had heard many stories of long delays between the flash pan and gun going off, misfires, and lack of accuracy. Also this was the first time I had ever shot a flintlock so I really didn't know what to expect. Luckly I had been given some great advise by more experience shooters and there were a couple guys at the range also shooting their FL's.

My powder round combo was 80 grains of FFFG, CVA aero lite 395 grain bullet, and FFFFG in the flash pan.

My first shot was at 50 yards. The flash pan ignition surprised me just enough to pull the shot, but it hit one inch over the 8 inch target. The second shot was dead center! Needless to say I was pretty darn happy with that so I took it out to 100. My first shot at 100 yards was 1 inch below the bullseye. My second shot was the first round that had a 1/2 second delay. I'll admit I looked up on that one and pulled it 12 inches to the right.

Needless to say I'm pretty darn happy with this set up. When I was shopping for a FL I wanted to get a quality weapon that would fire quickly and shoot acurately. Needless to say I got much more than what I was looking for. This gun literally shoots better than my CVA Apollo inline!

I'm bow hunting on Saturday, but plan on using my new toy next week. :smiley_bril:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Great!
One thing I've learned in my limited experience with a rock lock is that 4f is great at the range as a priming powder but the 3f is better for hunting. The reason is that the 4f seems to draw damp quicker then the courser powder.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388188746.404469.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388188761.601476.jpg

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Very cool rifle! I have a TC Hawken with an octagon barrel (percussion cap though) and I'm considering taking it out for muzzleloader season. Getting a deer with an old school rifle would be fun. I'm still working on my first deer with a crossbow, all mine have been taken with an inline or shotgun so far.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Very Nice Chuck!
I go back in time every time I carry mine in the woods. Enjoy!