Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Central Ohio coyote drives

themedic

OHIO
The local volunteer fire departments are doing their annual coyote drives soon. I will be at both. These drives are fun and help support the FD's. I would love to see some TOO members show. PM me for more info

Tarlton-SaltCreek FD Coyote Drive, in Tarlton, Ohio Jan. 11th, 8am with trucks leaving at 9am.

Amanda Township FD Coyote Drive, Amanda Ohio Jan. 25th, 8am kick off with trucks pulling out promptly at 9am.

Must have hunter orange, Buck shot only

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the reminder Cory. When I was a kid, the Tarlton drive was for fox - times change.

ray12

Seems your inbox is full themedic!

I was just wondering how old you have to be to go on the drives ? I'm only 17 didn't know if that's old enough or not
Thanks

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you just show up and join them? How does permission work? Do they hook you up with the land to hunt then?

themedic

OHIO
Do you just show up and join them? How does permission work? Do they hook you up with the land to hunt then?

This is how it works. You show up and have a big group safety talk. Usually around 50-100 people, depending on weather...damn fair weather hunters LOL. Then they all pack into 4 or 5 horse trailers with straw to sit on. Each trailer will take the country roads and make a large square, dropping off the hunters every 40 yards. the square is comprised of willing landowners. these drives have a long standing tradition and use the same family farms year after year. all coyote drivers hold until radio communication says drive and then the drivers all merge together, typically meeting in a large open field. all the while people yelling, barking and shooting up the country side. its a hoot!

themedic

OHIO
Saturday started out rainy and misty. I met Bawana (Brent) that many of you may know. I had a doughnut for some high quality carbohydrates to help fuel me for my day of walking.;) Me and Brent stuck together as we packed into a horse trailer with about 10 other guys. The first walk was a long one and the wet, sloppy ag fields made for some tough walking. Half way through, in the middle of a very nasty thicket, I snapped this pic of Brent taking a break and asking what he got himself into. If you look in the background you can see the other drivers.

Shortly after I found my first shed of 2014....a real whopper!

We never shot any coyotes on the first drive but saw a few deer that about ran Brent over. The second drive before lunch was also a long one and some really thick nasty cover but IMO a deer hunting mecca! Shots were fired on the second drive and Brent got to experience what the Civil War must have sounded like. Reports say we let 3 get around us somehow and the crew smashed one coyote.

We then broke for lunch. The FD had a Remington 870 and a Winchester 1300 for raffle, also a few feed store items like seed and gift cards..no luck for us but we got full bellies, maybe too full because Brent bowed out after lunch. I stayed and we ended up getting two more.

The Amanda coyote drive is on the 25th. I would love to see some TOO members attend. I'll be there, PM me if you need more info.