Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Aluminum arrows?

NEOhunter

Hi TOO world,

I am planning on buying some new arrows from ebay with a Christmas gift card. I have a Horton brotherhood crossbow that is 160 lbs.

The question I have is does anyone recommend aluminum arrows? They are cheaper than the carbon ones I bought previously. I will only use the arrow for hunting deer if that matters.

thanks

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't shoot a crossbow, but IMO there is no reason to buy aluminum unless you are trying to save money. Carbon shafts are just better.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I don't shoot a crossbow, but IMO there is no reason to buy aluminum unless you are trying to save money. Carbon shafts are just better.

Please explain why you think carbon is better.

I can see each situation being different, whether it be hunting or target but the biggest difference you can find between them are that aluminum is way safer to shoot. Carbon shafts are known and proven to explode when released from the bow and/or on target. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBVe3rfjAgY. Here is a link to many videos of carbon arrow exploding on the shooter.

Me personally I'd never shoot carbon regardless of cost. they are just plan unsafe and a gamble. Furthermore, If you buy a good aluminum shaft from Easton, and it gets bent, you can always re-straighten it. Most of my arrows for my crossbow are 2219s and are .001' to .002" of being straight. In my opinion carbon shafts are just over rated..

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Carbon is cheaper in the long run. If they don't shatter, they're still good. Re-fletch many times over. I have had aluminum bent and they were never shot except in a target. Carbon is more forgiving. My Grandson has shot 2 deer with the same arrow and it's still good to go! Doubt you'd get that with aluminum.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Carbon is cheaper in the long run. If they don't shatter, they're still good. Re-fletch many times over. I have had aluminum bent and they were never shot except in a target. Carbon is more forgiving. My Grandson has shot 2 deer with the same arrow and it's still good to go! Doubt you'd get that with aluminum.

If you do some looking around I've been able to find Easton 2219 bare shafts for $1-2 each. Those are typically .002"-.003" straightness. I then run through my arrow straightener.

I've been using some of them when I first bought them 10years ago with my first bow. So its pretty much a clear cut winner for me.. Carbon definitely isn't the answer for crossbows and you the risk of an aluminum shaft shattering vs carbon is pretty slim to none. good luck with that.

If you do some looking around I've been able to find Easton 2219 bare shafts for $1-2 each. Those are typically .002"-.003" straightness. I then run through my arrow straightener.

I've been using some of them when I first bought them 10years ago with my first bow. So its pretty much a clear cut winner for me.. Carbon definitely isn't the answer for crossbows and you the risk of an aluminum shaft shattering vs carbon is pretty slim to none. good luck with that.

Completely disagree!..As would the majority of crossbow and vertical compound bow users.Your crossbow is more likely to fail and blow up than a quality carbon shaft is...Most of these SCAREY pictures you see online of blowup carbons are folks who DO NOT check arrows an components after every shot.I have well over 100 shots on each of my current carbon crossbow shafts an one through a deer that still shoots 2inch groups or just under at 50yrds with a 4 blade broadhead on it.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Completely disagree!..As would the majority of crossbow and vertical compound bow users.Your crossbow is more likely to fail and blow up than a quality carbon shaft is...Most of these SCAREY pictures you see online of blowup carbons are folks who DO NOT check arrows an components after every shot.I have well over 100 shots on each of my current carbon crossbow shafts an one through a deer that still shoots 2inch groups or just under at 50yrds with a 4 blade broadhead on it.

I've yet to hear definitive reasoning from anyone who claims carbon is better the aluminum... Documented facts speak louder then opinion, especially when the facts don't come from a manufacturer or someone invested in promoting carbon shafts. Just look at how the hunting industry bullshits the consumer by these hunting celebrities promoting anything and everything they get for free.. Then next year they say the same thing about a different product. Biggest example in hunting. Just look at TC Arms. They must send out 1,000s of those Encores, and ive seen time and time again they fail to perform, especially for the cost. When have you seen Remington give stuff away.

Like in all things I was just posting my opinion about what I have seen and what I personally experience not to mention the videos being posted online in hospitals don't lie... Not sure whoever told you that a bow will come apart sooner then carbon arrows but that is just so not true and telling people that is plan ridiculous. Serious come on, that is absurd.

Furthermore, you reference the scary pictures.. Well these types of pictures are all over the web, new reports, DNRs, etc. Yes they are scary so I have no idea why you would dismiss them as freely and they happen infrequently. I can't see why anyone would risk shooting carbon va aluminum when there is clearly a larger benefit to shooting aluminum...

I too have many arrows I have been shooting for years.. I just check for straightness then fletch and I have no problem shooting tight ass groups at 0-40yards time an time again.

If you enjoy carbon, have at it. shoot them all.. I'll stick with my Aluminum. good luck!!!

. While statistically this type of injury qualifies as a "freak accident," it does happen to a number of archers each season. And while it may be intuitive to "blame the arrow," as you have done, the REALITY is that all brands, all types, all models, and all sizes of arrows can fail upon release if they are damaged prior to the shot. And don't assume that aluminum arrows are not susceptible . They are not. Any arrow, aluminum or carbon, small diameter or large diameter, camo finish or black finish, light or heavy, cheap or expensive, popular or obscure, WILL BREAK IF THE ARROW IS DAMAGED PRIOR TO THE SHOT. If you ignore flex-test safety procedures, your damaged arrow shaft can buckle and snap when you shoot it again.

Archery Statistics

There are an estimated 6,800,000 archery participants in the United States every year
The vast majority of these are youths aged 6-14 at summer camps
Every year there are approximately 4,300 archery-related injuries requiring emergency room care
The most common type of injury is abrasion from either the arrow or bowstring

Last edited:

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
. While statistically this type of injury qualifies as a "freak accident," it does happen to a number of archers each season. And while it may be intuitive to "blame the arrow," as you have done, the REALITY is that all brands, all types, all models, and all sizes of arrows can fail upon release if they are damaged prior to the shot. And don't assume that aluminum arrows are not susceptible . They are not. Any arrow, aluminum or carbon, small diameter or large diameter, camo finish or black finish, light or heavy, cheap or expensive, popular or obscure, WILL BREAK IF THE ARROW IS DAMAGED PRIOR TO THE SHOT. If you ignore flex-test safety procedures, your damaged arrow shaft can buckle and snap when you shoot it again.

That's some great data you provided. Carbon arrows shattering, as you call it a freak accident. Ok.. I just did a quick Google search on "Carbon Arrows Exploding" and there were pages and pages of news article and reports of how unsafe they are.

lets go back a few posts when you chose to say carbon arrows are better then aluminum. Still haven't given any supporting data from a Carbon Arrow vs Aluminum Shaft of the same ID/OD. Yes there are definitely differences and advantages, but they are not overwhelming and certain don't justify the greater cost.

Furthermore, there is a huge difference of a bad aluminum shaft malfunctioning/splitting, etc when shot from a crossbow versus a carbon that would explode/shatter upon contact if anything was defective with it. Shooting a bad aluminum arrow is far less dangerous then carbon.

Not a big deal to me, but when you keep saying they are better, i'm playing the devils advocate because the benefits of a carbon arrow do not out way the fact that they are much more dangerous to use for the avg. archer. For the average Ohio archer, a standard 20" 2219 with a 125gr will take any deer with ease and you don't have to risk your life when you pull the trigger on your crossbow.

JMTC

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Matthew, I understand your concern with carbon arrow shattering and shying away from them. I was the same way for the longest time when I was younger. Now that I have made the switch to carbon, I don't see myself ever going back. That's just me.

Here's how I look at it. With a carbon arrow, I don't have to worry about it getting bent like an aluminum arrow. That means I don't have to worry about my arrows not flying perfect because they are bent. I also don't have to baby them when pulling them out of a target or worry about smashing them when lowering my bow to the ground.

You are right, aluminum arrows are tougher, but a good carbon arrow isn't a wuss. I would venture to say that the majority of people that have carbon arrows blow up on them were doing one of two things wrong: either they were shooting an arrow that was under spined for their setup and, or they weren't inspecting arrows for a potential problem. I have shot carbon arrows for ten years now, and I have never had an arrow explode on me. I HAVE retired several arrows after contact with a tree or contact with another arrow at the range though. It's the same if you had an aluminum arrow that was visibly cracked, you wouldn't shoot it either. Some people just don't take the time to examine an arrow after a questionable impact to ensure the arrow's structural integrity is intact.

Bottom line is if you have the proper arrow for your equipment and take care of it, you won't have problems with it.

You know, there's all kind of gruesome pictures and stories on the internet of people accidentally shooting theirselves with a pistol because of mishandling it or not assuring that the gun was empty or pointed in a safe direction before messing with it. That doesn't mean that a pistol can't be safe if handled correctly and properly inspected before and after each use. Just sayin'

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Matthew, I understand your concern with carbon arrow shattering and shying away from them. I was the same way for the longest time when I was younger. Now that I have made the switch to carbon, I don't see myself ever going back. That's just me.

Here's how I look at it. With a carbon arrow, I don't have to worry about it getting bent like an aluminum arrow. That means I don't have to worry about my arrows not flying perfect because they are bent. I also don't have to baby them when pulling them out of a target or worry about smashing them when lowering my bow to the ground.

You are right, aluminum arrows are tougher, but a good carbon arrow isn't a wuss. I would venture to say that the majority of people that have carbon arrows blow up on them were doing one of two things wrong: either they were shooting an arrow that was under spined for their setup and, or they weren't inspecting arrows for a potential problem. I have shot carbon arrows for ten years now, and I have never had an arrow explode on me. I HAVE retired several arrows after contact with a tree or contact with another arrow at the range though. It's the same if you had an aluminum arrow that was visibly cracked, you wouldn't shoot it either. Some people just don't take the time to examine an arrow after a questionable impact to ensure the arrow's structural integrity is intact.

Bottom line is if you have the proper arrow for your equipment and take care of it, you won't have problems with it.

You know, there's all kind of gruesome pictures and stories on the internet of people accidentally shooting theirselves with a pistol because of mishandling it or not assuring that the gun was empty or pointed in a safe direction before messing with it. That doesn't mean that a pistol can't be safe if handled correctly and properly inspected before and after each use. Just sayin'

:smiley_clap: Excellent Flutie! :smiley_clap:

I've never had a problem with a carbon arrow either.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Thanks for the input Flute. I took a step back and re-read all of the comments from everyone and still haven't heard any definitive information on why a Carbon shaft is so much better then an aluminum shaft. So I called Easton and asked.. I'm not quoting anyone in specific, but to summarize, it boils down to personal preference as the largest factor. There are pro's and con's to each. But the pro's for aluminum being a better hunting arrow out way the pros for carbon.

Regarding the safety of carbon arrow and pistols is a pretty far stretch... all I was referencing was that there are a lot more websites discussing the bad side of choosing a carbon arrow vs websites that are not a manufacturer signing the praises of carbon.. sites like this is for helping people like the OP. It's clear the guy didn't know the difference and having one sided conversations typically doesn't educate them into become better archers, which is what we all want. Open discussion is a positive thing...

OP, Good luck with your choice. Just remember if you call a manufacture of carbon arrows, you'll probably wont get them signing praises of aluminum.. That's what's nice about Easton, they make both... lol..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Regarding the safety of carbon arrow and pistols is a pretty far stretch... all I was referencing was that there are a lot more websites discussing the bad side of choosing a carbon arrow vs websites that are not a manufacturer signing the praises of carbon.. sites like this is for helping people like the OP. It's clear the guy didn't know the difference and having one sided conversations typically doesn't educate them into become better archers, which is what we all want. Open discussion is a positive thing.

I guess I forgot to state that I was speaking in terms a compound bow, as I don't know much about bolts and crossbows.