Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Setting snares

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Forgive me if this topic was already covered, but I'm about to place an order from the nite lite catalog for a dozen snares for $18, grab my trapping license, and get started.

Ive never set a snare before but I've done some research on how to and did the YouTube tour. Lol

Any tips for a newbie?

Do you guys worry about getting deer?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Mike did you check the snare shop out as well? Seems from what I read they had the best prices.... Might be wrong but I thought a read a couple of posts hat they were....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Snare shop is awesome!

I don't think you need a trapping license to snare coyotes. If that is your goal, save your money. As far as avoiding deer, I've been lucky so far just by placing my snares where I'd expect a deer to have it's head up. I don't set snares where deer go under a fence, though it's a tempting place as coyotes use those areas also. Maybe I've just been lucky so far. Keep your tie-offs as short as possible too. Animals snared with little room to move are usually alive when you find them. If there is enough tie-off for them to move much they will tangle themselves up and die. No big deal if it's a yote, but may make a big difference if you catch the neighbor's loose dog.

Good luck!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Most of the holes through fences I use are too small for deer. Run-offs and low spots under fences are good spots as well. I always look for coyote hair on the fence to be sure. Snow is real good to tell you where they been going as well. Kaiser has a snare book of mine if you can squeeze it out of him....LOL. All I been asking is that it gets read and passed on to the next one. Seems we're definitely getting my money's worth out of that thing!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Most of the holes through fences I use are too small for deer. Run-offs and low spots under fences are good spots as well. I always look for coyote hair on the fence to be sure. Snow is real good to tell you where they been going as well. Kaiser has a snare book of mine if you can squeeze it out of him....LOL. All I been asking is that it gets read and passed on to the next one. Seems we're definitely getting my money's worth out of that thing!

Rick, I have it now and I'll pass it on when I finish it.... Stay tuned lol....

themedic

OHIO
I caught a small fawn last year with a coyote snare. I was able to cut the snare and let it go. But I learned to always leave the area above the snare void of branches.

Good luck to you on nailing a few!! Glad to hear you don't have to have the fur takers permit for yotes, just found it on the ONDR page as well. Hope to make it down a few times yet this winter and that gives my buddy the green light for doing a few extra trips as well for them.

Yes all snares require name and address tags.

Sorry for digging this up but I didnt want to start a new thread a get referrenced. It seems like their is a few subject matter experts in this. Was once an avid trapper but that was before snares were legal in PA. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a good instructional video on youtube or an article which they found helpful.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Where is the snare book? This fella needs it......lol....

I'm not sure what ever happened to that book. I forgot all about it until you said something about it a few weeks ago. I wouldn't mind reading it at some point or just buy my own copy if you can remember the name of it Rick.