Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ladder Stands OR Hang-On Tree Stands: Your Thoughts

DeerHunter42

Medina, Co.
I wanted to start a thread on what you all thought is better? I have never used a hang-on tree stand, but they seem pretty good and convenient. Was wondering what you guys thought was better, Ladder stands or Hang-on stands?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
For concealment and flexibility of trees to use, hang ons.

For a safer feel? Ladders.

I use both. No matter which one, it's imperative to locate the stand in a cluster of trees. Preferably in the trees that have three trunks. Especially ladder stands. Deer pick up people in them so easy because you stick out farther from the tree.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
In a gun hunting situation, a ladder stand is my choice. However, bow hunting I always use my Lone Wolf hang ons. Basically I can get much higher and stay more concealed with a hang on when bowhunting. IMO.

Diablo54

Outside
This can go either way. Ladder stands have there advantages for older hunters,young hunters, or anyone who isn't super comfortable with hunting elevated yet. They can be concealed but not as well as a hang on. Hang ons are less picky on where they are placed and I see this as a big plus. Also weight is another issue with a ladder stand. But ease of setup IMO a ladder is easier to hang than a loc on. Deer can be killed out I both.

I've been hunting from a hang-on tree stand, while watching deer skirt a ladder stand like it was the plague. Personally, I think ladder stands stick out like a rat turd in a sugar bowl, but deer get killed from them in some areas.

The versatility of a hang-on tree stand is hard to beat. I have a Viper climbing stand and love it, but there are a few times where a hang-on would come in handy, due to the trees that are available.

Good luck with your choices.
Bowhunter57

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm a hang on guy, and will probably never own a ladder stand. IMO, it's almost impossible to conceal a ladder stand, and I believe deer key in on that kind of stuff. Maybe it doesn't bother them at first, but if deer can associate danger comes with that thing sticking out off that tree, then they will watch for others. I like screw in steps for ultimate concealment, but they are a pain. I also prefer a stand with some type of quick hang system or receiver for my permanent hang on spots. That way you have one stand that is out of the elements, it takes nothing to hang, and it doesn't hit the pocket real hard.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Since I'm older now it's ladder stands. I've never had a deer shy away from a ladder stand. In fact this year the buck I shot turned off the 20 yr. trail and walked straight towards me until I shot him at 12 yds.. I've had deer walk within 10 ft. of my stand.
I feel hunter movement is the cause deer shy away. IMHO

I use hang on stands and a climber, I like to move around and if I am using a compound I like to be high. Latter stands are to difficult to move and they stick out like a sore thumb.

I do use climbing sticks now instead of screw in steps. You can hang a stand in minutes with sticks.

I am 56 years old and have had both a hip and knee replacement. Still have no problem setting up a lock on

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I use almost all ladder stands. I am picky about how I conceal them though. A lot of my setups are field edges where the trees branch out a lot more and there is always some saplings and whatnot around ground level that make it really easy to conceal.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I prefer hang on stands. You have more flexibility in terms of height. With a ladder stand, you have no choice but to be at whatever height the sta d puts you. 15 feet is the norm unless you add another section of ladder which puts you at 20. Wat if the best spot to be is 17 feet? With a hang on, you can put it where ever you want.

Schu72

Streetsboro
This season I hung my API baby grands for the first time in years. They felt HUGE compared to what I'm usually in. For those of you who aren't fans of hang ons, these provide a very large platform and allow for plenty of body postioning when a deer shows up somewhere unexpected.

Last edited:
I use both

Some trees just will not work with a hang on stand because of a angled trunk or branchs
Also some trees arn't ladder friendly either

So I pick the better choice and hunt

John

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use both

Some trees just will not work with a hang on stand because of a angled trunk or branchs
Also some trees arn't ladder friendly either

So I pick the better choice and hunt

John

Killed deer out of both. I am with Johnch. Often times the tree dictates what is hung. The bigger the tree, the tougher to use hang on stands unless you use screw in steps or 10-20' ratchet straps for your stick ladders. Some of these conceal a ladder stand alright. Most of the ladder stands I use are not hunted often. I think the deer get used to them and it helps with the element of surprise. I prefer hang on stands.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I mostly use millennium hang on stands but also use a 21 foot millennium ladder stand.It is easier to conceal in a hang on but I use netting around ladder platform and rail and also conceal the whole ladder section with the ornamental grasses people use for landscaping and some leafy oak limbs blended in help.Ladders are great as long as you conceal them well as I see a lot of people just slap a ladder up and not conceal it and they stand out like a neon sign.Pics are of my concealed ladder, it really helps to take the extra time to conceal as I never have deer see or spook from it while hunting.View attachment 18639View attachment 18640

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks like we are at a impass on the subject. It's almost like me liking a Ford truck and you like a Chevy truck. Neither truck will do for the other guy.