Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzy Scopes

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

So I bought and CVA Accura V2 yesterday and need to put a piece of glass on it. I want something with a ballistic reticle and 3x9.. Leupold has a SABR (Sabot Ballistics Reticle) for 269. Nikon has one for 219 in realtree which will match the gun. Just wondering what you guys use and what you like. Who make Cabelas brand scopes and does anyone have one? This is going to replace my shotgun so I want it to be a very competent 200 yard gun.

Lundy

I have been using the Burris Ballistic Plex 3x9 on two of my MZ's and they work very well. They have held up to the heavy recoil of the 50 cal smokeless and the Ballistic plex works nicely. The hold their zero and the adjustment seems pretty precise. For the price they are a very nice scope.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Burr...uts?WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd#productChart

I have a bunch of Leopold VARX 11's and these compare very well.

One thing to keep in mind with a multiplex scope is that most will only work if you maintain the same magnification. If Your primary crosshair is 100 yds and your second works out to be 165 yds at 9 power, the primary would still be 100 at 3 power but your second hash no longer would be 165.

Also these are not set up with the hash marks to duplicate the trajectory of a typical MZ. You need to determine, after setting your primary crosshair zero, what the other hash mark yardage zeros are. As an example on my gun I was able to set my primary 1" high at 100 yds and the second hash is zero at 200.

Nice gun by the way!

Lundy

I just read the Leupold SABR information.

It is the same as the Burris and most other multi reticle scopes.

If you want the hash marks to equal a specific yardage you must determine the specific power setting to achieve that result. You may have to hunt with 4, 5 power or 6-1/2 or 7 power, etc, it will depend on your load.

The other option is to use the full 9 power and determine the yardage the lower hash marks represent.

Not as much for deer but the principals are the same
http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/modern-varmint-and-hold-over-reticles/

Looks like a nice scope

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I just read the Leupold SABR information.

It is the same as the Burris and most other multi reticle scopes.

If you want the hash marks to equal a specific yardage you must determine the specific power setting to achieve that result. You may have to hunt with 4, 5 power or 6-1/2 or 7 power, etc, it will depend on your load.

The other option is to use the full 9 power and determine the yardage the lower hash marks represent.

Not as much for deer but the principals are the same
http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/modern-varmint-and-hold-over-reticles/

Looks like a nice scope

Thanks bud. I figure I would set it at 9 power and shoot back to determine the yardage for the others. I think the most will be 250 yards. I can't imagine taking a 300 yard shot with a muzzy unless it just flat out amazes me. But if ole mossy horns is out there at 300 I'd like to have the option for it to be a high percentage shot. Around here if you can't shoot 200 yards you're at a serious disadvantage in this wide open country. If they're in cover they're in bow range.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great points, Lundy.

I use the Nikon Omega on my TC Omega. BDC300. Works very well. As Lundy pointed out, with different magnifications the "dots" move. I have found laminated cheat sheets with different loads to be helpful. Make them about the size of a business card. Lowest magnification, middle, and full power seems to work for me. Generally never move my scope off 4.5x and have those yardages memorized. For me to need 9x would mean a deer which is probably farther than I should be shooting anyway.

Lundy

When I first setup my new MZ's for my son with the Burris I actually made a laminated card with the yardages and taped it to the stock for his reference the first year.

I hear you about needing to be able to reach out at times. The area I hunt offers a lot of visibility.

I have no problem determining my drop and elevation impact at longer yardages that is the easy part. The really difficult part, and the part that really makes me hesitant is the wind drift. Part of hunting open country is the wind problems. where I hunt it is very high in the hills around Athens and it seems to always be windy. Even with the loads I'm shooting I know there are days that I would not shoot at 200 yds much less 300 yds because that bullet could move well over 18" with wind drift and I'm just not good enough to make all of the correct calculations to be 100% sure I can pull it off. Even on some of the deer there that I have shoot at 150 -175 yds I cheated 3-6" for a moderate 10-15 MPH crosswinds and was glad I did. Over the years I have realized that for me to pull of a 200 yd shot in a 20-25 mph crosswind is about what it was like trying to hit a target with my bow at 40 yds in those same conditions, not a real high percentage, at least not high enough:)

I love nice cold crisp calm days!

TwistedX

I don't have a Nikon scope on my muzzy but its in the plans. If you have a smart phone I would recommend downloading and using the Nikon spot on ap. that ap is awesome. It works remarkably well with my 308 out to 550 (the farthest I've had it on paper) when you find your load, input the information it asks for and hit fire, it'll tell you the yardage or minute value for each mark at each zoom position On your scope. If you expand your bdc it gives distance values for the top middle and bottom of your circles along with the bottom post.
image.jpgimage.jpg
Personally I didn't trust this ap until I tested it but its "spot on" as the name implies. I use it all the time esp. When I am trying to find a load to use or decide between two calibers. For the simple purpose of convenience I will consistently shoot Nikon scopes. So far they have not let me down on quality nor have I had a negative experience with the ap. I have yet to need to interact with the customer service dept. but I have family who has (a scope was delivered without a turret cap) and they handled it well and still have him as a customer. The only downfall is the ap is only compatible with Nikon scopes.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had issues with the Spot On website not working properly just before gun season. Is it operating correct now?

TwistedX

I haven't used the website, I only use the ap. idk if it works on the same server/source but I'd never just pick up a gun and type in the info and head into the field. Like anything else we deal with when hunting, or in life it can fail. Nothing can replace field notes and practice. This simply gives me a starting point.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I have a Leupold Vari-XII on my Encore. It doesn't have the ballistic plex reticle, just a fine duplex and it works just fine. I prefer the 3.5 x 12 power and have been pretty successful out to 200 yards with my set up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I haven't used the website, I only use the ap. idk if it works on the same server/source but I'd never just pick up a gun and type in the info and head into the field. Like anything else we deal with when hunting, or in life it can fail. Nothing can replace field notes and practice. This simply gives me a starting point.

Agree 100%. I personally don't feel it is ethical to simply trust an app or website data. I won't shoot an animal unless I have fired the weapon to verify it is accurate.

Huckleberry Finn

Cabelas had their branded black powder scopes in the online bargain cave for $38

When I ordered one of these a few years ago, they sent me a 3x9 lever action scope. It works well out to 100 yards. I don't shoot my gun further than that, so that's as far as I can relate to. It does seem pretty heavy duty and I have no issues. It was one of those things where I got it on the 25th, probably the last year that the muzzy season came in on the 28th.