Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

KY elk

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I gunshow dealer that sets up beside me drew a cow elk tag in KY for early in December 2013.
He gets there and was told he must have a local guide. The guide charged him 500.00 but if no elk doesn't have to pay. He got his elk in 30 minutes. He's a happy camper. He'll have all the pictures at the Lima gunshow in January.
I'm putting in my name in the drawing for 2014. He had his name in for 4 yrs. before being drawn. Elk hunting in KY is almost a 100% deal.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I gunshow dealer that sets up beside me drew a cow elk tag in KY for early in December 2013.
He gets there and was told he must have a local guide. The guide charged him 500.00 but if no elk doesn't have to pay. He got his elk in 30 minutes. He's a happy camper. He'll have all the pictures at the Lima gunshow in January.
I'm putting in my name in the drawing for 2014. He had his name in for 4 yrs. before being drawn. Elk hunting in KY is almost a 100% deal.

Really? Wow. Never heard of this one. Not saying it isn't true, just didn't know it. Wonder what justifies a "local guide"? I have plenty of kin in the elk capital of KY. We generally glass them in late June every year when I am in the neighborhood. Pretty cool to see the big, wooly, cows. Pretty much what they are in my book. Big and hairy cows grazing. lol

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Really? Wow. Never heard of this one. Not saying it isn't true, just didn't know it. Wonder what justifies a "local guide"? I have plenty of kin in the elk capital of KY. We generally glass them in late June every year when I am in the neighborhood. Pretty cool to see the big, wooly, cows. Pretty much what they are in my book. Big and hairy cows grazing. lol

Phil stop by the gunshow and we'll talk to him and find out.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Well I was confused on the local guide part. At check in he was approached by a local guide who had a 1500 ac. lease. It was a 500.00 hunt with a guarantee 100% elk or no pay. He went for it and was taken to the lease and 30 minutes later shot his cow elk. He said it was the best investment he ever made.
He was approached by another guide who would charge 300.00 but no guarantee. He went with the 100% guarantee.

He said this lease had 4 different types of leases on it. Elk, deer, cattle grazing and I forgot the other.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Probably rattlesnake for the 4th lease. Plenty of them down there. lol

Sounds like good success rate for sure. I have seen areas like this. You have to figure the elk are big, hairy, dumb cows. If they find a place to eat. . . they are going to eat there (or very close) every night. I have never seen one of them run off. Even rode motorcycles and 4 wheelers right past them at a couple arms lengths away and they will just stand there.