Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Access

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll never complain about deer hunting access after trying to get on fields to hunt ducks/geese! I had my soul crushed tonight.

Drove in the opposite direction of my house as I've been scouting. I found a field 30 minutes from my house that had hundreds (400-500) of geese in it and groups of mallards dropping in every 10-15 minutes. I stopped at the farm house and get a "we like our geese", so I thanked them and left one of my brochures. I drove on down the road and came back 45 minutes later to see a truck full of guys obviously scouting it for their hunt tomorrow. No way an outsider was getting access to what was one of the most amazing spots I've ever laid eyes on.

Not having a boat and not having a couple reliable fields is absolutely killing me! My blind is adequate, but not what we expected, so I'm on the prowl for some ground and it's tough sledding. Not that most of you guys didn't know that!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep. Sadly, competition is extremely fierce when it comes to waterfowling these days. We've been getting screwed on quite a few fields up here lately. Last night we did land a big one, though. Talking with the owner, she said she's had at least 30 phone calls in the past two days asking for permission. The phone rang 3 times just while we were there talking with her. Unbelievable......

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The other issue is how birds flock to where you can't hunt them. This spot is so close to houses, you'd never get permission to hunt. But what a shoot!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387579061.041292.jpg

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I am fortunate to have a hunting buddy that has permission on miles of fields to hunt, but we almost always hunt the river now. Previous years, we only laid out in fields. Killed a lot of geese, but not many ducks. Last year and so far this year we have spent almost all our time on the river and have killed a lot of ducks. The last two years we have really just been targeting ducks. We could care less to shoot geese. My two cents is to get yourself a boat for the river ( like I tried to sell you Jesse! Lol) and go get em. Equal opportunity for all on the river. And in my opinion it is more fun on the river, but I am a river rat.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
See I'm so ready to get on the river. I can be on three different rivers in short order, with access to the mighty Ohio just 5 minutes away. It's killing me not being out there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've given some thought to shooting geese with my recurve next year if I can find a good spot for it. I could have smoked some ducks from this spot!

Just to throw this out there, but anyone with a boat who wants to come south, I can put you towards some solid spots. Just have to let me tag along for the info!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yeah you definitely need to get yourself one man!

It'll happen. I had a minor set back in the "free $" department with the news I received yesterday, but I hope to have one for the 2015 season. My buddy may buy one before next season.

If you're boat was for sale now, I'd have it!

epe

Lancaster
I've given some thought to shooting geese with my recurve next year if I can find a good spot for it. I could have smoked some ducks from this spot!

Just to throw this out there, but anyone with a boat who wants to come south, I can put you towards some solid spots. Just have to let me tag along for the info!

Next summer ill come down to dads and get my boat checked out , and we can go out. It hunts three good out it with the beavertail blind on it.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
It'll happen. I had a minor set back in the "free $" department with the news I received yesterday, but I hope to have one for the 2015 season. My buddy may buy one before next season.

If you're boat was for sale now, I'd have it!

Many times I wish I had that boat back. Every little problem costs a lot of money with a jet boat. Best thing that can happen for you is for a good buddy to snag one . You will reap the benefits with none of the cost. Lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One of my dad's bits of wisdom regarding pools and boats: "You don't own one, you know someone who does." Coming from a man who has had a boat for the better part of the last decade! lmao