Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WTB Deer Blood

Buckmaster

Portage
Ok guys....Help me become Father of the Year.

But first things first.

If I am to buy a puppy for my children I want to train it to be a deer tracking dog as well as a good pet.

I'm in need of a few quarts (up to a couple gallons) of deer good clean quality frozen deer blood (if there is such a thing), along with a couple deer hooves.

If you have such the capabilities.... just do a good job freezing it for me and we can work out the logistics later.

Appears I have some time with this endeavor as the breeder has a waiting list.

After securing these materials I will be prepared and can then justify obtaining a dog to begin training.

Thank you fellas.
BM

Buckmaster

Portage
Yep, Weiner from YN. JJ is his name. Big Bucks!...so lay down some deer and please provide me blood and hooves.

Perhaps I could assist you guys in the years to come.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Might I also suggest collecting internal organs as well. Deer liver is a good treat/reward for when the pup successfully follows the blood trail.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Might I also suggest collecting internal organs as well. Deer liver is a good treat/reward for when the pup successfully follows the blood trail.

Agreed 100%. Cut off little slivers and place them periodically along the trail. Does two things: Rewards them, but also makes them keep their nose down to the ground. Not sure if this is an issue with wiener dogs, but some dogs will want to throw their nose to the air and wind it rather than follow the trail. Hank has these issues. He tries to cheat often by throwing his nose up in the air.

Many will also have a favorite toy at the end of the trail or a larger chunk of the liver. Hank is nutso over retrieving his rubber bumper. I will practice with him sometimes by spraying the bumper in blood and dragging it. One way to keep the dog honest (not allow them to simply follow the scent on your shoes rather than the blood trail) is to tie the sponge covered in blood, toy covered in blood, or chunk of leather soaked in blood, to a string attached to a cane pole. Either hold it away from you as you walk or even ride a quad or mower dragging the blood covered tool so the dog does not smell your funky feet to the prize at the end of the blood trail.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is the worst business model out there if you are trying to make a profit at it in Ohio. Yes. I have been called plenty. $30 to show up. Above and beyond that depends on how far to you have to travel, time involved, etc. Most of the calls I receive are from people who lost blood, scoured the area, got rained on, and called me 2-3 days later after they couldn't find it. I kindly decline these calls. Once several days go by and they have traipsed around the area dragging blood every direction possible, they are better off doing a grid search.

Buckmaster

Portage
My wiener dog is still on radar. The breeder did not have a successful litter this Spring so will try again this Fall.
I'll be collecting blood and organs beginning in a couple of weeks for Weiner Dog 2015.

Trackman

SW Ohio
I run a tracking hound also. I get called out to track a lot. I do charge and like said all ready its not a business for making a bunch of money. When I figure all I got tied up in my passion including all the hours I have in training, equipment, vet bills and not to mention gas. I travel a lot during the season taking tracks. But its all worth it to me and my hound. I wish anyone looking to get into owning and handling a tracking dog the best of luck. MY best advice is to be patient, and very disciplined in your training. There is a wrong way that will get you through then there is other ways that will take your dog where you imagine him to be.

Trackman

SW Ohio
Buckmaster. Not sure if you know but JJ just breed a dachshund from Alabama. The bitch is out of Germany. Owned by Stanley thrasher. She was breed like 2 weeks ago. If your interested. The sire was tommy. That's the dog John tracks with.