Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

And so it begins

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I got my start to something new to try out. I have never used snares so I decided to get a few to try this year.

1218131256_zps0d6ed1ef.jpg

Ended up getting a dozen snares and Berkshire anchors and see what I can do with some of the yote around here. Never had any luck calling so maybe this will level the playing field.

Not a bad deal to get and have shipped for $37 and that included the driver as well.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Snaring is a blast! The only thing that worries me is catching deer with them. A guy that I worked with years ago killed as many deer as he did yotes. So far I've not run into that, thankfully! Use your head, try to set them where you'd think a deer would have its head up. Most that he killed were at fence crossings. Great for yotes, but deer use them too. Have fun abd good luck!

Buckmaster

Portage
I'm somewhat worried about the neighbors dog but I will provide him a notice of my intentions prior to engagement of my activities.

If it happens, they had their notice of opportunity.

My backyard coyotes actually have been waking me up at night on a regular basis, typically 1am-4am.

Now off to my online ODNR trappers education.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Snaring is a blast! The only thing that worries me is catching deer with them. A guy that I worked with years ago killed as many deer as he did yotes. So far I've not run into that, thankfully! Use your head, try to set them where you'd think a deer would have its head up. Most that he killed were at fence crossings. Great for yotes, but deer use them too. Have fun abd good luck!

This is my only concern. Being in ag country and fencerows we have some great spots to setup on fence crossings but worried about the smaller deer trying to go under and not over the fence. Just trying to brainstorm some to figure out if there is a way to keep the deer from going under but still allow the yote to go under.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I order mine from the snare shop out of Iowa.Can usually get 5 dozen for around 70 bucks.Cheaper if u buy 10 dozen.The more you set better your odds but if you do it long enough you will eventually catch a deer.Lots of fun turning them loose.Make sure you have a good set of cable cutters.I have used jump sticks but you will still get a dumb deer that puts its head under and gets caught.You will be surprised how pissed and mean a deer gets when you walk up on them.Best to just let them pull tight and use your cutters quickly to set them free.As for the coyotes trail sets are best and if you have some pogo stakes they allow you to set off trails out in fields or where you have no where to wire off to.Enjoy, lots of fun and good way to keep them in check in your hunting areas.I have noticed after you catch several they seem to leave the area for awhile.Not a dumb animal.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I checked out the snareshop as well and they have some good stuff. I was just poking around the net the other evening and found the site I ordered from http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/ Seems good and delivery wasn't too bad. The snares are Ausable brand so not sure if that makes any difference at all.

If I get further into this I will most likely use the snareshop to order. I just wanted to give it a quick check and found that site just to get my toes wet lol.

Buckmaster

Portage
I bought the $ 58.00 cable cutter as well. Its a cheap insurance policy against a wrongful catch.

A swager I picked up at Home Depot for $ 19.99. Does up to 3/16".

Milo

Tatonka guide.
just make sure your snares have deer stops on them in the right locations. thats why i like the snare shop. you can order them by state and they have them set up to be legal.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One other thing to consider, Adam, and whomever else... If you leave your tie-off long enough for the yote/deer/dog to tangle up on surrounding trees, fences, whatever, it will be dead when you arrive most likely. If you keep the snare short enough so the animal cannot wrap it around trees or debris, it will likely be alive and waiting patiently for you when you arrive. I could care less about a coyote, but if I catch a deer, I want it alive.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Good luck!!!! If i can catch yotes in snares anyone can lol!!! We make bait piles out of processed deer and hogs that my buddy butchers every year. We make our own trails by walking through the weeds then set the trails. Yotes will follow any trail you make. Use straightend out coat hangers to hold the snare above the ground. My favorite is washouts under fences that they crawl under. You guys that are trying it out for the first time are in for a lot of fun!!!! The one on my avatar is at one of the fence sets the only problem right now is the snow is drifted too about were his elbows are on that pic.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
just make sure your snares have deer stops on them in the right locations. thats why i like the snare shop. you can order them by state and they have them set up to be legal.

Never seen any on there with OH regs but seen some with PA,MI and a few other states. Do we have other states that have the same regs? Could you post what you guys got off there?

Mine came with the deer stops but I have to snap them on and shouldn't be a problem.

oakswamper

around Toledo
After you make some catches make sure to keep the hardware off the snares that are messed up, you will find that making them yourself is easy and cheaper ;)

Good luck!