Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lookin for a pistol

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Hey yall, Im lookin to buy a pistol and get my CCW. My question is, do you have any recommendations. Don't need anything real big, just something that gets the point across.

I have the S&W M&P 9MM and could not be happier. The Glock 26 is also nice because its only a little thicker but it can stretch into the role of a full sized pistol because it will except the larger capacity magazines of the full sized Glocks of the same caliber. Same can be said for the S&W M&P compact. This is nice if you only have one handgun. There are tons of carry pistols now a days and all of them are pretty much equal from a quality stand point. It really comes down to personal preference. so go to the gun shop and try as many as you can. If you cannot fire them at least dry fire them to see if you like the trigger.
For example in no particular order:
magazine capacity
Action type i.e. striker fired, double action only, Single action only, double action/single action.
Safely vs. no safety
weight
thickness
barrel length
caliber
over all size of the handgun

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Anyone who has borrowed my Kahr to carry for a test drive has purchased one. Well, couple left that are saving $ to get one. CM9 to be exact.

DXT

I like my sig p238. Small light and shoots good. My girl friend likes to carry and shoot it also.

runhunter

X2 on the Sig... second to none IMO. The P239 is also another nice compact to check out. Comes in .40 S&W, but for another $170 you can buy the .357 barrel without changing magazines etc...My 229 is the same way, but just a great shooting pistol. It'll eat anything you feed it flawlessly

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shot a Sig and was impressed with the accuracy and feel in my hand. What I didn't like was the procedure for loading, unloading, firing, etc., seemed foreign to me. I don't remember the difference between other pistols I have fired, but there was something different involved. Not a bad thing if you are proficient and it is fluid to you. Just not what I was used to. Minimal sleep lately and I don't remember exactly what it was I didn't like. Sorry for the vague post.

runhunter

Maybe it was the double/single action where you can possibly have 2 different trigger pulls on the first 2 shots?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the Sig 290 RS single action.... It does take some getting used too but for a CCW it's a good one.... For competition shooting not so much lol....

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Its an overwhelming search you have started but hopefully I can help you at least get started.

1.) How do you think you are going to carry? Outside the waistband (OWB), Inside the waistband (IWB), pocket, or another location (appendix, ankle, etc). This will help you determine the size of a gun you are looking for. However, regardless of the gun you may have to adjust your dress slightly and dress around the gun occasionally to conceal it well.
2.) What caliber? I would suggest a .380 to be the very absolute minimum, though a .38 special is considered the minimum by many. 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP, etc are all basically the same considering today's hollowpoints. 9mm is generally the cheapest to shoot of all the calibers and you generally get the most rounds in the same size gun of the main calibers.
3.) What type of gun? Revolver? Semi-auto?
4.) Trigger type? Single action (think 1911), is the easiest/lightest trigger pull. Striker (think Glock, M&P, XD, etc), Double action (most revolvers and some semi autos are double action only like Beentowns Kahr), Double action/single action (Sigs) where the first shot is long double action but the shots after that are single action, and will most likely include a decocker.

I suggest you go to a range where you can rent guns and plan on dropping some money on range time. First hold all the different types and figure out what feels good in your hand or what doesn't. Then take the top 3-4 guns to the range with you and run a box or so through each. You'll figure out what you personally like.

Brands are just as bad or worse than car brands. If you stay with the major players (HK, Sig, Glock, XD, M&P, Walther, Berreta, Kahr, etc) you should be fine. Just ask here once you get the field narrowed a bit and we can help you out.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Wow, that's quite a bit of feedback. I honestly forgot all about me posting this yesterday until I was sitting here watching youtube videos. I went to Point Blank yesterday on Harrison Ave in Cincy, more like Miamitown, but whatever. The guy at the counter was very knowledgable and helpful. I told him theat I was a rookie at handguns even thought I spent 8 years in the military. I know I don't need a damn desert eagle, but I dotn want a pea shooter either. He sat out 3 pistols in front of me.
1. Glock 19.
2 Sig Sauer something or other.
3. Smith and Wesson M&P 9C.

I held all three. Scracth the Sig, too small in my hands. im only 5'7" so I don't have huge hands, but they are bigger than the sig. Liked the feel of both the Glock and the SW. Found out that the SW is made in the USA. That helped my choice. He put the Glock away and went on with his demo of the SW. Showed me nearly everything. I have been doing much more research today. Reviews, video, etc. The more I look into it, the happier I am with my choice. Its a little pricey so I am going to hold off for the new year, and hope Bill Goodmans Gun and Knife show comes around. Thanks again for all the info from you guys. I love this site.

Dustin

Wow, that's quite a bit of feedback. I honestly forgot all about me posting this yesterday until I was sitting here watching youtube videos. I went to Point Blank yesterday on Harrison Ave in Cincy, more like Miamitown, but whatever. The guy at the counter was very knowledgable and helpful. I told him theat I was a rookie at handguns even thought I spent 8 years in the military. I know I don't need a damn desert eagle, but I dotn want a pea shooter either. He sat out 3 pistols in front of me.
1. Glock 19.
2 Sig Sauer something or other.
3. Smith and Wesson M&P 9C.

I held all three. Scracth the Sig, too small in my hands. im only 5'7" so I don't have huge hands, but they are bigger than the sig. Liked the feel of both the Glock and the SW. Found out that the SW is made in the USA. That helped my choice. He put the Glock away and went on with his demo of the SW. Showed me nearly everything. I have been doing much more research today. Reviews, video, etc. The more I look into it, the happier I am with my choice. Its a little pricey so I am going to hold off for the new year, and hope Bill Goodmans Gun and Knife show comes around. Thanks again for all the info from you guys. I love this site.

Dustin

You can get USA made glocks as well...Which did you honestly prefer before you knew the country of origin for each?