Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Strange Birds

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
These 5 showed up at my Aunt and Uncles feeder in the Chicagoland area on the 11th. Escapees? I've seen a few different Budgies out and about before, but these look like small parrots.

!cid_676c3a488734fa3704d9d200834dda8634782a90@zimbra.jpg!cid_0263749ac70176fc2cb4db9c0b97963ad7df0dae@zimbra.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They're Quaker parakeets. Not native to North America. They're a huge problem in Fl and across the southern coast. The build huge community nests on towers and stuff. There can be hundreds in one nest. Shoot em. That's the last thing we need is them figuring out how to survive the winter and establishing a native feral population. They're illegal to own in Pa, Ky and Tn. They may now be covered under Ohio's exotic pet registration law but I'm not sure. May be why they were released.

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
They're Quaker parakeets. Not native to North America. They're a huge problem in Fl and across the southern coast. The build huge community nests on towers and stuff. There can be hundreds in one nest. Shoot em. .

You may have missed the part where he mentioned Chicagoland area. I'm guess Mayor Daly and Obama probably have them on a protected list. And now that they found the feeder, it's probably mandated that they be fed on a regular basis, along with a comfy cage to rest in. Oh, and they probably have Obama phones too:smiley_chinrub:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I looked in to it. They are only legal to own in ohio if their wings are clipped. This is to prevent them from escaping and becoming agricultural pests. I missed the part where they were in Chicago.

Last edited: