Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question for you Rabbit Hunters

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No idea, but probably females. I only say that because I don't remember wrastlin with many rabbit nuts... I'll keep track for the remainder of the season.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Almost two too one on female too males on average where we hunt..... We always call out male or female when my buddy (we've hunted bunnies for over 30 years together) drop one.... For as long as I remember it's been more does then bucks....

Oh and almost forgot the reason.... My guess is because they're always in heat lol.....

Last edited:

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
The man I hunt with has been running dogs for years, and as we were skinning the rabbit I shot the other day I made mention that it was a male, his reply to me was, "You won't kill very many females, cause the females mostly run at night and the males mostly run during the daylight. I called bullshit, just to gig him a bit, and he said from his experience that has been what he noticed.
I don't have anything to back this up with but I will start paying attention now that he mentioned it. I thought I'd ask you all on here to see if you have had the same experience that he was talking about.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'd say your a BS flag was appropriate lol..... Unless all the females live in holes in your area those dogs will get them up and moving......

I never felt like I could take such liberties, as to checking the genitalia on rabbits...before or after they're dead. :smiley_chinrub:

However, I have been known to pinch the nipples of dead groundhogs, to see if they have milk. :smiley_armscrossed: That way I'd know whether or not she had pups, so I would know if I needed to come back to shoot them too. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

tracker 6

In a thicket
Afew years ago,afriend and I hunted AEP in dec,jan and feb.We killed over 40 rabbits,we didn't kill a doe until late feb.We didn't shoot until the 2nd circle so that may have determinrd the results some.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Sounds like your on the same lines as the guy I hunt with, Im not saying he's a master but Ive been rabbit hunting since I was 14 and I have never paid attention to the what sex of rabbit we kill every hunt but I will pay a little closer attention from here on out. Everyone has a theory and Im curious if this one holds water.