Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Venison Donation Survey!

ZipsHunting

Myself and two other students at the University of Akron are completing a senior project in which we are crafting a local initiative for a venison donation program with the intent of taking the model to a state lawmaker in order to attempt to create a statewide state sponsored donation program (see Iowa HUSH program). If you could take this quick 1 minute survey to help us with some primary research regarding the potential success of the program we would really appreciate it! Thanks!

https://akron.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6htnup2sIAFaMvz

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO forum. Good luck on your project.
I may suggest you modify your survey at the bottom. I reviewed the survey and thought the forward arrows at the bottom on the right was for more survey guestions. But when I clicked on the arrows I sent in a blank survey.
Just saying.

teej89

NE PA
I just finished your survey but I'd like to add why I wouldn't donate my meat to charity. I think that should be an addition to the survey to have people elaborate why they wouldn't donate. If you're just getting a no and no reason then that doesn't help you at all. If you get a yes then bingo you're done.

But my reason is well to start, I love venison. And to last myself through the year I only need about 2 deer. I would harvest more deer for sport to donate to charity but we already have an issue with the deer herd in ohio. Therefore I'll stop hunting deer after my 2 deer are taken. I'll hunt small game the rest of the season but in my opinion I really don't think a couple squirrel/rabbit legs are going to feed a family.

I'm interested in seeing how your survey goes. You should definitely keep us posted. I hope I'm not the only selfish one that wouldn't donate lol

Cool topic tho! Best of luck to you guys!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In the last 3 yrs. I have donated 3 deer to a brother and 2 neighbors. I only need one deer for the wife and I. May take another deer during ML season for a brother having health problems who can get out to hunt.
So I guess my charity starts close to home for those in need.

Buckmaster

Portage
I've taken your survey.

I have donated deer in the past under the FHFH program.

My problem now is there is no longer a drop point in my county for a deer. That means I'd have to travel across a couple counties to do so. Its no longer convenient so I ceased my donation activities. I'd do it again if a drop point was more local.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I hunt for meat for my boys and I as my wife won't touch it. I also like to share with family and friends. I won't kill more deer than I can consume in a year. I think they should let the road kills go to the needy.

ZipsHunting

I just finished your survey but I'd like to add why I wouldn't donate my meat to charity. I think that should be an addition to the survey to have people elaborate why they wouldn't donate. If you're just getting a no and no reason then that doesn't help you at all. If you get a yes then bingo you're done.

But my reason is well to start, I love venison. And to last myself through the year I only need about 2 deer. I would harvest more deer for sport to donate to charity but we already have an issue with the deer herd in ohio. Therefore I'll stop hunting deer after my 2 deer are taken. I'll hunt small game the rest of the season but in my opinion I really don't think a couple squirrel/rabbit legs are going to feed a family.

I'm interested in seeing how your survey goes. You should definitely keep us posted. I hope I'm not the only selfish one that wouldn't donate lol

Cool topic tho! Best of luck to you guys!

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that an additional comment section should be added.

ZipsHunting

I've taken your survey.

I have donated deer in the past under the FHFH program.

My problem now is there is no longer a drop point in my county for a deer. That means I'd have to travel across a couple counties to do so. Its no longer convenient so I ceased my donation activities. I'd do it again if a drop point was more local.

This is one of the reasons why we have explored this for our project. FHFH is a great organization but we felt like something with state involvement could possibly become a more successful program. In researching the Iowa HUSH program, among other state programs, many are able to fully reimburse processors for their work, which in turn would lead to more drop points. Thanks for taking the survey!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I hunt for meat for my boys and I as my wife won't touch it. I also like to share with family and friends. I won't kill more deer than I can consume in a year. I think they should let the road kills go to the needy.

I agree. If people are in need maybe the local police should have a list and they could be called to come get the deer. Hell, I'll take a fresh road kill deer any day of the week, it's TOO good to waste. Not to sound rude or anything but I think these donation programs cause more doe kills, I'm not going to throw names out but there is this hunting team I "liked" on facebook from ohio that have shot 5 does and donated them all to fhfh and broadcasted on FB that they did, IMO that's a little excessive. There's other way's for the needy to get food, killing does to donate is just another tactic of the ODNR.

Last edited: