Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thermal imagining scopes

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Last night I got to look at an IR scope. It was really cool. I could make out the deer feeding 150 yards away in the dark. You could see a blob where a person was through a thin wall. Seemed much better then the night vision I've looked at but since they seem to run $5-10k they ought to be impressive.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My son has one. It's neat. Going to use it for coyote hunting. Nice to look for wounded deer. He scanned the walls in his warehouse and seen where the blown insulation sank in the outside walls couple feet. He's going to re-blow insulation.

Interesting !!

I have wondered how the scope dose on a moving target ?
As I got to use a Night Vision scope a few years back to hunt Yotes ( Gen 2 )

It made hunting easy to 150 or so yds
But I would think the Thermal Imaging scope would allow longer shots

John

I recently watched several videos on Thermal Imaging scopes and thought it would be a great idea. So, I started shopping...WOW! :smiley_blackeye: Holy Price Tag, Batman.

If you spent $1600 on an AR in .308, you might want to triple that (for starters) for a T.I. scope. :smiley_depressive: I'd love to have one, but I'll pass!

The other option would be a night vision scope. These scopes start in the upper $300s and go up from there...like any other optics. Purchasing a N.V. scope would be a more reasonable option...unless you have "silly money" laying around. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The thermal score I looked at was 15k
I just about shat myself. Gonna be s while before that happens. Though everything I read says the are awesome on hogs and yotes.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cool video. Just not sure the cost could ever be justified. I am curious how much the TI cameras we used at the fire department cost. Might be cheaper to buy one of them and mount it in front of your scope. Would be heavy as heck though.

Gen I leaves plenty to be desired. Might as well use a good scope with highest light transmission you can afford combined with a good spotlight. This is what I use. With decent moonlight you would be amazed. With snow on the ground they are quite impressive. Then again, I suppose I could just hunt during daylight hours. lmao

Lundy

I wonder how long it will be before they make it up this way from southern Ohio.

I have been reading about wild hogs in Ohio for over 25 years but I know of nobody that has actually ever seen one anywhere.

Has anyone here ever actually laid eyes on one?

I have been reading about wild hogs in Ohio for over 25 years but I know of nobody that has actually ever seen one anywhere.

Has anyone here ever actually laid eyes on one?

Yes
I was hunting Zaliski State Forest 3 years back
There was 4 Big pigs and a bunch of yearlings
Not 60 yds from me at 1 point
But I was bow hunting and they never came closer

John

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I wanna do that!

You can. The people that made that video sell hunt and provide the guide and all the equipment just like you see in that video. Not even going to tell you the price of the hunt lol. They have other videos on youtube and talk about it and have a website where they sell the scope and such as well. Little out of my price range.