Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public Land in northeast ohio?

jbherzig43

Just wanted some help if anyone can would really appreciate. Hunted in Jefferson Ohio this fall and was supposed to go back out and hunt muzzloading season. Unfortunately, we are not able to hunt on the property at that time. We still have our buck tag and would like to fill it. I know of the state land around the area, but was wondering how good it was and if there was any other state land worth hunting. Wondering about Brush Creek, and Highlandtown wildlife. Have been told that Highlandtown is a hidden gem, that they have food plots, agriculture. What I am wondering is how good is the chance of seeing deer and the chances of seeing an average buck worth shooting. We are from upstate new york, our season is done and I hate to eat my tag especially out of state. If anyone could help, I would appreciate the info. Also if anyone knows the area good enough to give us a shot at where or what part of the properties we should concentrate on.

Droptine

Medina, OH
Who is we? It seems fishy that "we" plural have our buck "tag" singular. You make it sound as if multiple people will be hunting and if anyone gets a buck the one tag will be used to tag the animal. I am far from a English major so please correct me if I am reading this wrong.

jbherzig43

My brother and I. We hunted in a small town called bergholz during the last week of october. We were going back out to hunt muzzloading season and just found out we cant hunt the property because of gas line company coming in. We would like to come out and fill our tag and were just wondering if those two properties (Brush creek/Highlandtown) are worth hunting.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I live in Jefferson county and about 25 minutes from Bergholz.

I know of the places you mentioned, but have never been to them.
I live 5 minutes from Fernwood State Forest and could point you in the right direction to some good hunting there if that interests you.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Highland town has a lot of good ground and a good population of deer.... Gets hit pretty good shotgun/muzzle loader but still produces some good quality deer year after year.....

jbherzig43

Yes, I would take any information. What kind of property is Fernwood? Hills, flatland, what kind of timber on it? Also, how is the access?

randeye100

1. It is over hunted (amish put on drives)
2. Unload your gun and walk down the gas line to enter portion you are referring to.
3. Several us have hunted highlandtown from bow season thru muzzle. Very difficult to fill tags. Even if you believe in the old axiom (hunt harder). Between Bow hunters and Shotgun season, Amish from PA putting on drives and the unwillingness of private land owners to give you access, there is not much good to say about filling your tags. Fernwood is harder hunting (terrain) but may be more product. I have several friends hunting there now. I'm anxious to see how they did in Muzzle season. Several of us are hunting Highlandtown and have not filled tag after 2nd day hunting hard (7:15 to 5:45) Good luck. Look for my truck JIMMY AC/DC RULES. I start in 6:45 AND HUNT HARD. Next year we're going somewhere else. Maybe Grand River. Lot more area. Hope this doesn't disappoint you. Oh by the way Fernwood is rough terrain. Real Rough. Go Google Earth you'll see

Last edited: