Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

love hate

yotehunter

spencerville oh
As the snow comes down my heart beats fast with excitement to put the dogs on a fresh coyote track with my hunting party. But then the phone rings and its work. I work for odot in Allen co my main job is to plow snow, and I was told that from day one. With that being said I've worked 32 hours of the last two days. I did manage too get out with our group today to chase some yotes. We ended up getting three sorry for no pics but I forgot to take my tablet with me do to lack of sleep lol. I may use a vacation day tomorrow and a few of us get after them again tomorrow. We have killed four this weekend, and we killed one during gun season so that makes a total of five in two weeks and hopefully more tomorrow. Keep every body updated.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Keep up with this post as I'm really interested in using dogs for yote hunting..... Good luck tomorrow.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My freezer is full. Just ordered a new battery pack and charger for my Foxpro along with some new mouth calls. I am ready to get after them for sure. Good luck to you guys.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
How does this work? do you set up blockers and then send the dogs on the fresh tracks or do they corner them some how? Do you use shotguns or rifles? Better yet take me with ya LOL!!!! Just kidding but damn it sounds like a lot of fun!!!!

yotehunter

spencerville oh
How does this work? do you set up blockers and then send the dogs on the fresh tracks or do they corner them some how? Do you use shotguns or rifles? Better yet take me with ya LOL!!!! Just kidding but damn it sounds like a lot of fun!!!!
We usually drive around and try to find tracks from the night before and narrow them down to a certain section. Of course this is when the snow is on the ground. Some days we may spot one out in the open right at first light. Then after the section is narrowed down we put a dog or two on the track with a couple walkers and set up a few guys on the spots were the coyotes usually crosses. And a few trucks will sit and watch and the section as well. Dogs are equipped with garmin GPS tracking collars so we pretty much know where the dogs are 99 % of time. As far as guns mostly shotguns with 00 or 4 buck. A few rifles and many are shot with ruger mark 2s if the dogs get one caught or they track one into a cross over pipes which happens a lot. If snow isn't on the ground its just a crap shoot but we always have reports of a coyote here or there. Without snow it can turn into a lot of foot work. But always worth it when one hits the ground. And always willing to invite people to watch a good chase.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yea flat with our biggest patches of woods being 40 to 60 acres a lot of ditches and a few rivers and we jump them anywhere too a cornstalk field too the thickets that would rip the clothes off your back. They can be anywhere.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Awesome!!! Thanks for the info!!!! I have seen guys hunt them like that but with no dogs just pushers and blockers. The prices were decent last year but don't know about this year.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
The dogs ran one a little over 7 miles today before we got it down that makes number nine and I had one in a leg hold tonight after that so that makes 10. We are hunting some good sections tomorrow so hopefully we can kill a few more tomorrow.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The dogs ran one a little over 7 miles today before we got it down that makes number nine and I had one in a leg hold tonight after that so that makes 10. We are hunting some good sections tomorrow so hopefully we can kill a few more tomorrow.

Congrats.... Keep up the good work....