Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cleveland Plain Dealer

Lundy

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Ohio deer hunters wrapped up a week-long gun season by tagging 75,408 bucks and does through Sunday. It was a 13 percent decline in the annual harvest and had many sportsmen grumbling, but not deer management head Mike Tonkovich.

“We are absolutely where we wanted to be,” said Tonkovich. “Fewer deer in the state is not a bad thing. In 2007, we ramped up county bag limits and antlerless permits (to increase the harvest). We were clear at that point that it was designed to bring the Ohio deer population down to our goal.”

A smaller deer herd was the intent, even though it would mean a little less venison in the freezer for Ohio sportsmen.

“Hunters who are complaining are not looking at the big picture,” said Tonkovich. “The gun season harvest may have been down 13 percent, but the total harvest this season is only down 5 percent.

“If you’re accustomed to having a lot of deer on the landscape, like we had three or four years ago when we had a record harvest, it’s only natural to be disappointed. Years ago, hunters were very happy to kill 170,000, then 180,000 deer each year. Now they’re unhappy if we only kill about 200,000 deer. “

Tonkovich expects to fine tune the county bag limits in 2014 to shrink the harvest even more. Many counties are still above the population goals established by the deer management team. Tonkovich said that some counties, where the bag limit had been trimmed from six to just three deer this season, might see only a two-deer bag limit next year.
“We might even disallow the antlerless permits in some counties,” he said. “Those permits are designed to encourage hunters to kill does early in the season, and are only good for the first eight weeks (of the bow season, as well as during the newly-approved antlerless primitive weapons season).

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I know its not going to happen but wouldn't it be cool if nobody bought a deer tag next year and skipped deer season all together? Talk about a kick TOO the balls of the ODNR!!! Have a turkey camp or whatever to still spend money on the locals that benefit from deer hunting but zero money from deer tags!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He needed to pull back the reigns in my area three years ago. I'm going to take this as an encouraging sign. I do find it bothersome he still refers to the good old days when we killed 180k deer....we killed 180k deer with a LOT less opportunity...which simply means we saw a LOT more when we were hunting. Dang, why is that hard to understand? It isn't what we kill (total harvest) that is a direct reflection on the quality of the herd, it's what is living, to be seen while we are out tryin to kill one.

Just for fun, I'd like to see the regs from 1990 put back in place. That is the only way to truly measure the difference in the herd we have today vs what we had then. I am certain we would kill far less today than we did then if we played by the same rules.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
He needed to pull back the reigns in my area three years ago. I'm going to take this as an encouraging sign. I do find it bothersome he still refers to the good old days when we killed 180k deer....we killed 180k deer with a LOT less opportunity...which simply means we saw a LOT more when we were hunting. Dang, why is that hard to understand? It isn't what we kill (total harvest) that is a direct reflection on the quality of the herd, it's what is living, to be seen while we are out tryin to kill one.

Just for fun, I'd like to see the regs from 1990 put back in place. That is the only way to truly measure the difference in the herd we have today vs what we had then. I am certain we would kill far less today than we did then if we played by the same rules.

Yep! My feelings echoed.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio

Exactly!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Great view point Brock! I agree TOO.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Brock is the damned smartest Redneck I know! :smiley_clap:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Is that something like a vagina? Not very nice! Lol

I thought he was talking about those one onion ring shaped chips! LMAO!

I am definitely seeing a decline in deer in my area. Not that it's a bad thing (yet), but the numbers are definitely down. I blame part of that on the local coyote population though.