Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frigid forage food plots

Kaiser878

ohio
I am pleasantly surprised and satisfied with my frigid forage big and beasty plots this year.. I have.never had.deer attack a plot like they are right now. My dad calls me nightly and updates me on my lower plot. Its about an acre n a half...there is a minimum of 8-10 deer in it a night.

It makes me feel better about my efforts and money since its being used by the deer so well....very impressed with this seed

at1010

*Supporting Member*
"Big and Beasty is our #1 selling blend of high protein forage rapes, sugar beets, forage turnips, and daikon radishes." From the site Cotty!

I have a friend who planted it aswell, it has really drawn deer in well. I think it is worth the money espically if you dont feel like having to buy all those different mixes from CO Ops and mix yourself.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is my 1st year for planting food plots. I planted 3.0 ac. of couple different plantings. I really haven't been checking it since I'm not hunting. Tonight at 5:30PM I check and had 7 deer on the plot. At that time they all were in the Whitetail Institute winter oats. Got .5 ac. of that. Next to it is 1.0 ac. of 7 Card Stud of turnips and misc.
Really pleased with the outcome. As I've never seen over 3 deer at a time in the almost 23 yrs. of owning my farm. Except the 4 deer with 3 bucks and a doe in my back yard last weekend.
With this heavy snow on the ground I really think any planting of a food plot is a benefit and going to be hit hard right now.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Check out Bill Winke's web site. I think it's Midwest Whitetails? He uses it up in Wisconsin where the winters are rough and has taken some darn good bucks off that stuff in the late season.

This year's winter weather has a lot to do with how well they are using the plot I think. Years past when it was real mild my brassica/turnip plots barely got touched. Could also have been because it was my first years of planting them in different locations too. Great to hear they are working for you Kaiser!

Kaiser878

ohio
This was part of the plot in late august/early Sept. It still.grew a lot more after this..... id say the tops grew another 6-8 inches after this photo.
uploadfromtaptalk1386942161127.jpg

Turnip size at the time of that photo. There are turnips in there 3-4 times this size of.this one now
uploadfromtaptalk1386942252173.jpg

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
"Big and Beasty is our #1 selling blend of high protein forage rapes, sugar beets, forage turnips, and daikon radishes." From the site Cotty!

I have a friend who planted it aswell, it has really drawn deer in well. I think it is worth the money espically if you dont feel like having to buy all those different mixes from CO Ops and mix yourself.

Thanks! I was too lazy to look it up myself as I was reading TOO on my phone. Lol

Zach, thanks for the heads up on this stuff. I have a possibility of being able to put in a plot on the farm I hunted most of this season and the main goal will be for late season food... after the rut activity. This looks like the ticket.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Good friend had the same results this year with his big and beasty. I'm extending my 1 acre plot into two acres next year and planting more CRP and fruit trees

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I planted frigid forage big n beasty in 2011 and had my best food plot ever, I shot my buck in it on the 7th day of season. Then by late season the turnips were huge. They were hammering them. It was also the tallest plot in plant height I have ever gotten. I planted mid august.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've heard lots of good things about the FF line of seed. My custom blend from Merit did well this year, but I plant to tweak it for next year and also plan to some Big and Beasty. The weather has been ideal for these types of plots as Chuck said. Deer haven't touched a brassica one on our farm in 3 years until this year; same with the radish. This year they are tearing those plots apart...

Kaiser878

ohio
Went.over to dads tonight to pick up some decoys at 430. I figured id stock around and see if my.deer showed.up in my plot. At about 445 the parade started.....I lost count after 9. They were.scattered all over the plot and there were a few in the dip that i couldn't see once they walked in it. So there.was a minimum of 9 in it. But I think by dark there were somewhere near 12-15