Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting with a suppressor

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know nothing about this except for what I heard Keith Warren's daughter say at the end of one of his shows where they were promoting hunting with suppressed weapons. According to her: "Hunting with suppressed weapons is more ethical..." I wanted to jump through the TV and cunt punch her and kick Keith Warren in the throat for letting her spew such bullshit.

It is just another way to promote the "silent" killing of deer in the same manner as Telecheck...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Nah. If you wanna use a suppressor to kill a deer and not check it you would do it now. We can't use rifles for deer anyway. Don't know of any suppressors for shotguns and muzzleloaders.

If they weren't so cost prohibitive I would have one already. Be great for yotes and g-hogs.

Buckmaster

Portage
A friend of a friend just bought one for his .223.
I think it was like $ 900 for the suppressor and $ 250.00 for the background check and license.
It brings the .223 noise down to a .22 short sound-wise.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
To get a real advantage with a suppressor you really need to use it with a subsonic load.

In England with all their stupid strict gun laws it is legal (and common) to use a suppressor. However they look at archery equipment as poachers tools.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The US has about the strictest suppressor laws. TV influences the dumb ( the masses) to think of it as an assassins tool. The thing they do best is make shooting more pleasurable.

Shot a subsonic load 9mm with a Gemtech suppressor....awesome!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
To get a real advantage with a suppressor you really need to use it with a subsonic load.

In England with all their stupid strict gun laws it is legal (and common) to use a suppressor. However they look at archery equipment as poachers tools.

Correct. Several states have passed suppressor laws and haven't had any problems. The general public as a whole is bothered by gun shot noise. My friend uses one in TX. TX is requesting hunters use suppressors.
I'm doing R&D on a subsonic 300 Blackout load now. Hopefully I will have legal access to a suppressed 300 Blackout. Going to great for coyotes.

I believe in England and France their suppressors or "sound modifiers" as they call them are on the shelve for sale at hardware stores. Or so I've seen posted on forums.

Last edited:
It would be nice for varmint hunting. I would like to have one for 5.56 and .22LR. The Dems want to increase the tax stamp to $500 with H.R. 3018: Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act of 2013. I don't think H.R. 3018 would pass but that's their plan.