Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New from Georgia, I mean Ohio....

Johnny44

Good evening. I'm originally from Columbus But currently live in Georgia. Didn't take up hunting until some fine Georgia rednecks got me into it. Now it's all I think about. I will be moving back to ohio eventually but in the meantime I am terribly interested in hunting Alum Creek during the holidays. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? The people at the park office just tossed a map at me and didn't seem to want to talk. I don't understand how public land works. Do I just park on the side of the road and walk in? Is there a check in station? I know these may be stupid questions I'm just trying to learn. Thanks for all your help.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Welcome too the site.... Typically public land has some parking lots, nothing fancy or lit just gravel lots.... But if you want too get too the thick of it look at maps and pick a spot..... Just don't block traffic and you should be fine.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I assume they gave you this one, but I'll toss it up here just in case: Alum Creek Hunting Areas.

I don't know much about Alum Creek, but generally speaking there are no check in stations at the state parks and wildlife areas. You simply park where is indicated, or on the side of the road, and hoof it in to your hunting spot. Other guys in that area can comment, but there are better options of public hunting in that general area than just Alum Creek. I'd look more in to the Wildlife Areas if it were me, but the state parks can offer so good hunting so don't rule out Alum on my count.

Central Ohio Wildlife Areas

Johnny44

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that you can just park your vehicle and go hunt. I'm hung up on Alum Creek because it is literally less than a mile from my In-Laws where I will be staying.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep, park and go. I don't know anything about Alum Creek, but I live very close to Fernwood State Forest and there is no check in station or mandatory parking areas. Basically it is park where you want, just don't drive off road. They'll ticket you.

Buckeye360

I am in its backyard. There is tons of lots and roadside pulloffs at Alum, Delaware Wildlife, and Delaware State Park. I hunt private now, but it would not be the end of the world if I had to go public again. There are a ton of great places to hunt in Delaware County. I prefer Delaware State Park for meat because it's bow only. Everything else allows all types of hunting. But on the other hand, the expansive lands of those wildlife areas hold the bigger bucks.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Good evening. I'm originally from Columbus But currently live in Georgia. Didn't take up hunting until some fine Georgia rednecks got me into it. Now it's all I think about. I will be moving back to ohio eventually but in the meantime I am terribly interested in hunting Alum Creek during the holidays. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? The people at the park office just tossed a map at me and didn't seem to want to talk. I don't understand how public land works. Do I just park on the side of the road and walk in? Is there a check in station? I know these may be stupid questions I'm just trying to learn. Thanks for all your help.

I have hunted Alum creek and used to live less than 15 minutes from it. The map should have the hunting areas listed on it. On the back of it, there should be a list of "rules". These rules are different and more restrictive than the standard Ohio hunting regs. (I'm assumming you are buying an Ohio NR license and will get the regs with that.)

Also are you planning on bowhunting for deer? or just squirrel/rabbit/etc hunting? The reason I ask is b/c one of the more restrictive rules is that you can only use shotguns at Alum Creek, one of the rules states no .22 or something to that effect. There is also a rule about a distance you must be from a trail/road (I believe its 400 feet) before you can hunt. In the southern section of the hunting zone (by the mtn biking and one boat launch area) there are very few places where you could be 400 feet from a trail and still be in the woods. In the norther section (off of 3Bs and K road) is where I normally hunted due to this problem. Be warned I know of quite a few vehicles that have been broken into in that area (a friend used to live just down the road from it). The squirrel hunting up that way is pretty good, never saw many rabbits and would generally run across a deer or two when squirrel hunting.

Due to all the issues with Alum Creek I would normally also hunt Delaware wildlife area. Its larger, always saw rabbits and squirrels (shooting them was sometimes the problem but anyway) and I just enjoyed it more.

You can literally drive up to one of the parking areas (or pull safely off the road) and just get out and hunt. Its great.

Good luck

Johnny44

Thanks Hedge - I will be deer hunting and using a crossbow. To be honest, I could give a rip about a big buck. Just like the hunting experience. I'm more so looking for the next season because I try to spend all my time with my parents when I am in town for the holidays. My wife and I are looking for jobs in Columbus and plan on relocating as soon as we can. I want to have the public land figured out until I can find some private property to hunt. I appreciate you guys helping me out so much. I still can't wrap my head around parking the truck, walking in, and shooting a deer. I don't know why that's just hard for me to grasp!!! HAHAHA!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Welcome to the site!

Yeah, I gotta say, the first time I went hunting on public land I had a "This land is your land, this land is MY land" moment where I realized that my drivers license was my permission slip and as long as I followed the rules nobody could boot me off. Felt kinda liberating, and made me appreciate that folks before me had the foresight to establish public parks, etc, blah blah kinda sappy