Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pistol safe?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
My wife wants a safe for her pistol that she can access quickly in the bedroom. She doesn't want her gun accessible with 2 little ones. Additionally, she doesn't want to fumble trying to open something if ever in a time of need. So with that said, anyone have some suggestions?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I don't use gun safes for the personal protection firearms in the house so I can't help you with selecting a good one. My kids have no curiosity about them since they can see/handle them anytime they ask.

A great site for anyone with kids...

http://www.corneredcat.com

One thing I do suggest is to put the firearm where you have to get up/walk a bit to reach it (across the room) Gives you enough time to clear the fog from a deep sleep before handling it.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I would think the small 1 gun safe that can be bolted down. They have groves on the top for your fingers and require a sequience of finger taps on the buttons for it to open. They also have some that work off a finger print. Another plus is that they can be opened in the dark so as not to give away a location...

There are a number of types like this on the market.

opplanet-gunvault-bio-multi-vault-biometric-pistol-safe-gvb2000-v2.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

One thing I do suggest is to put the firearm where you have to get up/walk a bit to reach it (across the room) Gives you enough time to clear the fog from a deep sleep before handling it.

I worry about this. I keep my piece a long arm's reach away, but I don't have to get out of bed. I think I'd count on some adrenaline with a jolt waking me up, but it's probably something I should change too.

I keep my Glock23 under the bed in a Gunvault 1000s.It is a no eyes keypad safe, which in my opinion works well..I change the battery every two to 3 months and practice accessing my weapon from it on a regular basis.I paid about 100$ for it at buckeye outdoors an I am happy with it..

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a Bunker Hill small safe in my bedroom. It has a key pad that I have 4 numbers logged in to it. Nice safe.
I don't use it as there are no kids in the house. I keep 2 auto pistols in my night stand beside the bed. When kids or guest come over I just put them up. But it's there for security reasons.
In my master closet I have a Mossberg pistol grip 12 ga. loaded with buckshot. But not one in the chamber all I have to do is rack the forearm forward. Not to mention my Win. 97 12 ga. pump laying on the top shelve loaded the same way. I won't even mention my AK47 Bullpup with scope, laser, light, and headsup sight with two 20 round mags.