Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Women/youth crossbows

TwistedX

I haven't started looking yet but my wife is going to want a crossbow in the near future. I was wondering what bows you would recommend for her? She is really small framed and wants something light. The bows she has been looking at are shooting 300 fps, do they make higher performance woman or youth bows? She was looking at the Parker I think challenger woman's bow for the coloring and size. Anyway does anyone know of a small frame bow shooting 330+? I was wanting more speed since she's still new to hunting and I'm worried about deer being on high alert when she takes a shot. Also what about the reverse crossbows?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
You cannot beat the Parker Challenger. Compact, light and Wyvern Creations sells a package deal with extra's for 399.00. My grandson shoots much better with his.

330+ you would want a Parker Tornado. Bigger framed and heavier, but packs a wallop. Get them used for around 500. A new package deal at Wyvern's is going to be around 800. give or take.

Reversed limb bows, I hear the Barnett is heavy and the Scorpyd Ventilator (like mine) is quite pricey to be practical for a woman.

Last edited:
My buddy picked a Barnett recruit for his twin boys...That thing flat out rocks!...It even feels great for me to shoot an shoulder...My other buddy just picked up the same thing for himself for 260$ new...It's a 300fps bow..They also have the raptor which is 330fps recruit for about 400$.New...Best is to have the shooter shoulder and handle it to check for fitment and balance ,feel etc..My wife loves my Stryker sz380 and it fits her well even being a short gal...

Last edited:

taramarietackett

I have a Horton Yukon SL and it is really nice. It is relatively light and dead on. I am kinda liking the Barnett Predator too. (Maybe be purchasing as a secondary..) It is very compact and has an adjustable shoulder stock. Cabelas has it for $399 and it comes with a quiver and three bolts.

HeartLunger

My buddy picked a Barnett recruit for his twin boys...That thing flat out rocks!...It even feels great for me to shoot an shoulder...My other buddy just picked up the same thing for himself for 260$ new...It's a 300fps bow..They also have the raptor which is 330fps recruit for about 400$.New...Best is to have the shooter shoulder and handle it to check for fitment and balance ,feel etc..My wife loves my Stryker sz380 and it fits her well even being a short gal...

My youngest son shoots the Recruit. It's got a great 3-for scope. He's accurate out to 40 yards. It's a little loud, but with its speed I'm not sure it matters.

mossbergbryson

I have a Barnett Raptor fx. It's compact and has an adjustable stock. It's rated at 330fps and I haven't had any issues with the string so far. I think the string issues were more common a few years ago even though some do have issues.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I am short (5 foot) and small framed. I have the Parker Challenger. I love how lightweight it is but I am not thrilled over how short it is. I tend to not butt it firmly against my shoulder because it is just so damn short.

I think next year I might go with one that is another 3 inches in length (depending on the weight). I will stick with Parker simply because I bought the sidewinder hand crank cocker and that is suppose to work on any of their crossbows.