Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help! Late season calling?

NEOhunter

As mentioned in my introduction to the TOO site, I am a relatively new hunter so I have a question that I'm hoping to get some advice on.

I have already gotten a 4 point buck during november but am on a quest for a doe before the season ends. Now that I've said that my question is should I do any calling to try to lure in a doe? Or do I just sit quietly and wait?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm also still trying to upload some pictures. I'll get it figured out soon.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Welcome to TOO & congrats your buck. Calling can be tricky. It'll most certainly put 'em on alert & of course, where there's one deer, chances are it won't be alone. The last thing you need is all the more eyes & noses looking for you. For this time of year, they're gonna be eating all the more, so put yourself in a good area where there's food nearby, or if you know their travel patterns & just wait. Good luck !

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
the best thing you can do late season is find the food source. i think the snow and cold weather are here too stay now, the deer are gonna be in the fields just take the time too scout where they enter and exit and you should have a shot.good luck and welcome

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There is no need to call in order to kill a doe this time of year. I've used a Primos can call to call in does over the years and blowing through the hole on the bottom of it also makes a great sound that does will come check out. However it will freeze up in 2 seconds in this weather, so doing that is of no use this time of year.

If you have access to private ground and shell corn, you should be able to kill a doe in fairly short order depending on a host of other issues.

NEOhunter

Thanks for the tips so far, I really appreciate it.

I feel somewhat confident of their feeding sites and travel patterns so I'm gonna just sit then and put the call away. I have a unique hunting spot becasue my mother-in-laws land, about 6 acres, where about 4 gets soy beans planted every year borders state game land that is land locked. The state land is bordered by 5 land owners with now public access unless permission is given from the landowners. The state land is about 11 acres so I have a decent amount of land to hunt. The opposite end of the public land is about 10-15 acres of crop land as well. With some nice oaks on the border dropping acorns. So I have seen lots of deer and tracks in the snow by the acorns.
Gonna sit tonight for about 2 hours and hope one walks by.
Thanks

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you have acorns, just get the wind in your favor and you'll shoot a doe in REAL short order. Especially with a crossbow which will limit your need to move in order to get a good shot. It it were me, I'd find a big tree about 15-20 yards from one of the most used trails and clear our a spot behind it. Use the tree to shield you and shoot the quartering away shot as they walk past.

Good luck!

NEOhunter

Bigslam, I wish I was in my stand now, I'm still at work till 3. Luckily my hunting spot is less than 5 minutes from work! So that's why I said I only got about 2 hours tonight.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Congrats on your buck. As with any other time. Figure out where a deer is, where he is headded and set yourself up in between with the wind in your favor. A little luck thrown in and it's a done deal! Good Luck Man!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Like the others said. Just set and wait near a travel trail or near food. They will come.
Good luck.

DeadOn

Late season = Food Food Food. Where they know there is food, they will come. As Bowhunter said watch the wind and your set up. You should have no problem putting a doe down sir. Also remember that late season deer are very alert. Guns and bucks have them paranoid of every little thing. So make them comfortable...then shoot them. :) Good luck.

NEOhunter

No luck yesterday :smiley_confused_vra Had high hopes. Wind in my favor and was sitting about 25 yards of the trail they travel to the food.
I think I'm going to try some corn.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If you have acorns, just get the wind in your favor and you'll shoot a doe in REAL short order. Especially with a crossbow which will limit your need to move in order to get a good shot. It it were me, I'd find a big tree about 15-20 yards from one of the most used trails and clear our a spot behind it. Use the tree to shield you and shoot the quartering away shot as they walk past.

Good luck!

If one insists on using a call in this set up the "acorn cruncher" is tits!

Seriously though, like others have said, I'd just hunt near a heavily hit food source off a trail leading to the area receiving the most tracks and sign. Good luck

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Lots of great ideas here. Knowing of a good bedding area and trails leading to a cut corn field, would be awful tempting. Just play the wind in your favor. Good luck!