Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My First Handgun Kill

This is my second year of chasing deer, in hopes of getting my first deer with a handgun. I've been hunting with handguns for over 30 years, but never gave a thought to hunting deer with one. I figured that I've killed nearly everything else with a handgun, so why not a deer. Plus, I've killed deer with everything except a handgun.

I was standing just inside the woods, looking across a ravine and listening. After hearing several shots in the distance, I see a buck and 3 does walking along the south edge, traveling west. Suddenly, they spook, decide to back-track and come into the woods with me. They didn't seem to be interested in crossing the ravine and as they walked by, so I rested my .44 Mag. Ruger Super Redhawk on a sapling. The buck hesitated, I settled the red dot on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger.

At the recoil the buck walked off, while the does ran off to the east. I wasn't totally sure I'd hit him, even though the shot felt good. I waited 10 minutes and decided to slowly cross the ravine and check for blood. No blood, but I noticed the does running off, while the buck was bedding down. I crept one foot at a time, toward him, while he got up and bedded back down 5x...over the next 2 hours.

Around 11:00 he got up and bedded on the other side of some blown down trees. I kept creeping closer, one foot at a time and by 12:15 he'd stood up and laid back down for the 7th time. The last time was in his 5th bed, facing to my right, while his chest was toward me. There was the shot that I'd been waiting to present itself. He looked my way, while I leaned against a sapling for a rest, settled the red dot on his brisket at 40 yards and squeezed the trigger.

When the Ruger recoiled, the buck rocked onto his back and I ran up to him. He attempted to get up and was throwing his rack at me...I was 10 feet from him. I gave him a second to settle, he moved his head away from his vitals and I shot him through the lungs. I'm getting him mounted, as I'll never forget this hunt with a handgun. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

Diane said:
Congrats! How long is that barrel?
Diane, thank you. The barrel is 9 1/2", but you should know...size doesn't matter. :smiley_blink:

J said:
Congrats on a great handgun harvest.... So did you hit the first time????
"J", thank you. Yes. 1st was on the shoulder...busted it up and that's why he laid down and was having difficulty getting up. 2nd shot was in the brisket and he stayed down. That's when I ran up to him and put the 3rd shot through his lungs.

I hated it that he suffered as long as he did, but it took all that time to get that close for a finishing shot. I wasn't sure how hard he was hit and I didn't want to "bounce" him out of his bed, then end up chasing him all over creation and possibly losing him.

Bowhunter57

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
The barrel is 9 1/2", but you should know...size doesn't matter.

Cute. :biggrin:

Mine (.357) has a 6 inch barrel and I thought yours looked huge! Bet that kicks like hell. But you got 'er done! :smiley_clap:

at1010 said:
wow! That was an intense hunt!!! Congrats!
at1010, thank you. This was, by far, the most intense hunt. "Patience is the hunter" was what I kept reminding myself with...since the first shot was at 9:10 and had to wait/watch until 12:15 for the finishing shots. Loved every minute of it, as that's what it's all about. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cute. :biggrin:

Mine (.357) has a 6 inch barrel and I thought yours looked huge! Bet that kicks like hell. But you got 'er done! :smiley_clap:

Glad Dan said something. I wasn't going to let you slide with that question. Anyone else? Yes. Diane? Heck no. I was going to rib you a bit. lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats on a great hunt BH57! That hunt is etched in your memory bank forever I'm sure! Congrats and way TOO stick with it!