Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Work Commute?

teej89

NE PA
How long does everyone here have for a commute to work? And if you do have a long commute do you hate it?

The reason I ask this is cuz I work in downtown columbus and i live near the perimeter of columbus it's bout a 15 minute commute. However as this hunting season goes on I feel like I'm dragging myself to go hunt, to the point where I'm almost done deer hunting for the year(sorry to sound so depressing lol). I hunt near zanesville so there's no weekday evening hunting and when I hunt on the weekend I have to leave at 4am to get there in time, lug my stuff in and setup my stand then hunt all day then drive home an hour and eat real fast then go to sleep to wake up again at 330 to go hunt sunday. My sunday hunts normally end at 10 because I'm so exhausted and I feel I need time to relax/clean/cook at home before the work week. The one girl that works in my office has commuted from zanesville for over 2 years and she doesn't seem to mind it. My hours are completely flexible I could work 9-6 if I really wanted.

So I'm thinking when my lease is up I may move to zanesville so I can be closer to hunting. I haven't met many people in columbus, due to being gone every weekend hunting, so it's not like i'm starting over by moving away. That and no one I've met here hunts nor is interested in it or any part of the outdoors. Also a lot of my family is in pittsburgh so i'd be an hour closer to them also.

Thanks for reading y'all and thanks in advance for your input.

Edit: And also I do stay in zanesville in a hotel sometimes and that's $45/night so like this weekend I spent $100 just to stay the weekend.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have between an hour and 45 minute commute depending on the day one way.

That and also because I don't hunt anywhere near my home (2.5-1.5 hour drive one way) is why I don't bowhunt. Eventually I Wil but there just isn't the time for me right now.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
45-55 minutes a day, 4 days a week average.... Unless I have reserve weekend then add two extra days too that....

It's a routine I've been doing since 1990.... So it must bother me too much lol.... I don hunt after work since I'm on 4 10 hour shifts.... But have been known too be a little under the weather during deer season.... More so then any other time of the year lol...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
20 minutes to Athens then another hr+ back to Chillicothe. I would much rather commute to hunt than I would to work. That extra 15 minutes of sleep on a Monday morning is awsome.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I dont think the drive is that big of a deal. I would be willing to drive up to an hour and fifiteen mins to work everyday. I am in sales so I drive a ton every week anyways, so I dont think it would be bad to drive over an hour if you were in a nice area you liked to call home.

teej89

NE PA
Yeah zanesville is way more like my home maybe a little bigger but not like columbus is.

And it's tough living in columbus and being a hunter. first off the hour plus commute for hunting then not having anywhere to shoot my bow except my 6 yard range from my bed into my closet lol can't butcher my own deer in the apt complex, they'd frown upon that lol and I'm not a huge city fan. I have much more fun on weekends hanging out drinking beers at someone's place or while fishing than going out to clubs and what not.

Also my job in columbus is phenomenal so that's why I'm not just looking for another job.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think you are pretty made up man. I would just look to try to buy a place out the way your wanting. My goal is eventually to move back to Ohio. Depending on where I am working I will be living hopefully in Athens area and commuting to work.

Good luck TEEJ

teej89

NE PA
Never thought of that milo or hick, I'll have to check those towns out in the next couple months. Do a little town shopping, hit up the bars and see what town has the best talent hahahaha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure about the bars, but you would have some great TOO company in the areas mentioned. That may be worth something to you. lmao

teej89

NE PA
I was just messing about the bars but yeah that's what I love about my hometown is you're surrounded by hunters. Opening day of any season the local gas station is always packed with guys that all know each other getting snacks and their opening day tin.

Hunting means too much to me for it to be an inconvenience.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
8 minutes. However I drive anywhere from 500-1,000 miles a week for work and do not always start at the office. Sometimes I leave my place and have to drive 2+ hours before I even start on work. However I control when I go largely, so I'm able to schedule my longer field days when it doesn't impact life nearly as much as it would otherwise...

It generally takes me 45 min to an hour to or from work. The winter time is when it sucks the most. For the longest time I have not minded the drive at all but over time it has started to become more of a drag. We own 5 acres which is nice for shooting and the kids to play sports on but other than that I don't really hunt there so I still have to drive quite a ways to actually hunt in a decent location. If I had good hunting in my back yard then I'd be all for an hour or even longer drive.