Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big spike

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's weird. Last year I seen a spike buck that had over 18" long. No brow points or anything just single spikes on each side.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The picture doesn't reflect the gray on the muzzle he had, and he also had a lot of wearing of his teeth.... Not the greatest at aging hem but after seeing him up close I'd say 3.5 more so than 1.5, he had good body mass as well.... I'd put him at 160 lbs or maybe a little better.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I didn't put a tape on it but they are about 9". Over the years I can probably remember 5 or 6 spikes killed in that area. Most 1.5s are 6-8 points. About 1986 the was an old buck killed with 11" spikes about a 1/2 mile away.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I honestly do not have an opinion other than there has to be some tagged wild deer type of research out there.
Gonna do some googling when I get some time.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did J put his tag on this one? Sounds like Mr J was at least there to see him. You holding out on us J?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Did J put his tag on this one? Sounds like Mr J was at least there to see him. You holding out on us J?

I witnessed said deer being drug out and got my hands on the spikes.... But didn't pull the trigger on the beast lol.... Lots of deer seen but no decent shots offered by any antlered deer for Sam or I..... Still had a lot of fun and exercise this week walking the hollers around the orchard... Good group of guys..... Very thankful Sam invited me.....

Actually Phil I was pushing on that drive lol.... So I did have a hand in the harvest lol.... I believe we had 5 or 6 bucks running around on that one...