Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

OFBF and PCRs

Huckleberry Finn

I see that's dated in March. I wonder how much deer were discussed at their annual member policy meeting the last 2 days.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
This is the way OFBF leads it's membership to adopt policies. Articles like this get discussed at local council (small clubs) meetings. That primes the membership to start thinking a certain way. Then at county annual meetings the membership will vote on policies and finally those policies will be voted on at the State annual meeting.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I still just don't get the appeal. All this fuss for something that if it did pass would amount to a very small minority participating. I think this is more about selling guns and ammo than killing deer.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I would oppose it simply because they are going off the notion that we have too many deer. I think the Buckeye Firearms Association is a great organization, but I really am not too happy with their stance on things deer hunting. We as a hunting community need to get out of our heads that creating more opportunity is always a good thing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I still just don't get the appeal. All this fuss for something that if it did pass would amount to a very small minority participating.

Exactly the reason I find nothing wrong with it. Isn't going to hurt anything and allows a small percentage of hunters (generally a group of more level headed gun guys in my personal opinion as compared to the masses of asses I have witnessed out hunting this week) allows them a unique opportunity. If it isnt going to change the end harvest results much, then I think they deserve their own little opportunity as well. No more dangerous than modern slugs or sabots or allowed handguns.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Exactly the reason I find nothing wrong with it. Isn't going to hurt anything and allows a small percentage of hunters (generally a group of more level headed gun guys in my personal opinion as compared to the masses of asses I have witnessed out hunting this week) allows them a unique opportunity. If it isnt going to change the end harvest results much, then I think they deserve their own little opportunity as well. No more dangerous than modern slugs or sabots or allowed handguns.

Agreed. Plus, I need an excuse to buy a PCR. I am thinking 44 mag.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I still just don't get the appeal. All this fuss for something that if it did pass would amount to a very small minority participating. I think this is more about selling guns and ammo than killing deer.

I believe the appeal is that a rifle is about 10 times easier to shoot accurately than a pistol for a person who doesn't shoot a pistol very much.
I've always said there are shooters and shootist of firearms. A shooter almost never practices on a regular basis. He picks up his firearm checks the sights the week before season and goes hunting. Probaly never shoots the gun again until next year just before season.
A firearm shootist practices with his firearm all year. Maybe each month or every week. The degree of ability and accuracy with a pistol or rifle goes up 10 fold for the shootist.

Allowing hunter to use a pistol caliber rifle increases the accuracy many fold for the average shooter.

But the only problem I really see is the everyday hunter is going to hear rifle and think they got a long range killing machine. That's far from the true as a longer barrel only adds about 25 FPS for every inch of barrel. 25 FPS is just a rule of thumb in the reloading group. I shoot a Ruger 7.5 in. pistol in 44 Mag at about 1300 FPs. My Ruger Deer Slayer 44 Mag rifle with 16 in. barrel shot the same load at about 1600 FPS. That 400 FPS increase is pretty close to the 25 FPS increase.

I've taken 23 deer in Ohio since the handgun hunting season was allowed. To do that I've shot 10,000's of rounds of 44 mag in practice to gain a higher degree of ability than the average hunter who doesn't shoot often. For the most part I would say a average one time a year deer hunter doesn't shoot a pistol well.

I've also used my Ruger 44 Mag rifle for crop damage permits in the past just to do it. I took a few just for the fun of it and always went back to my Ruger 44 Mag pistol. Did the rifle make the shots easier? Yes by far but I've always enjoyed pistol shooting. But the rifle never increased my killing range.

So would support a change to pistol caliber rifles. I would even support a change to straight wall rifle calibers such as the 45-70 in single shot rifles. Even at that the older straight wall rifle calibers don't give a hunter much range increase. Look what's being done with the newer shotgun sabot loads and the sabot ML loadings. These newer sabot rounds by far bypass a normal straight wall or pistol rounds.

IMHO. We all have our own opinions. Hell I even see no use for golf but go for it if that's your enjoyment.

Beentown said:
Agreed. Plus, I need an excuse to buy a PCR. I am thinking 44 mag.
Me too. I've priced the Rossi in .44 Mag., blued, 24" octagon barrel, at Buds Gun Shop and $510 isn't bad.

Even if the PCR ruling passes, I don't think we're going to see a mass exodus of hunters purchasing lever-action rifles, at $500+. Henry rifles are well over $700 and Winchester is off the chart...as well as Uberti and Cimarron. Rossi and Puma are affordable and so are Marlin...if you can find them.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree with BH57. I see myself pulling my 44mag out and (once again) becoming proficient with it/hunting with it before I see myself going out and buying another gun to hunt with.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks like this now has a very high likelihood for 2014.

It's really a no brainer why. The DNR wants to slaughter more deer and doesn't believe they'll reach the low population goals because people will quit hunting. It's what we've said all along. Increase opportunity = Increase kills = lowered population. They need another way to increase opertunity.

Last edited: