Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Had a nightmare

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I woke up about 5:00am seriously pissed off. For some reason, good dreams are hard to remember, but this bad one... well, I can't get it out of my mind!

I was sitting at the edge of the pasture I've been hunting most of the season. In front of me, at 100 yards, a doe was feeding and began looking over her shoulder nervously. Out of the corner of my eye I caught movement and notice antlers moving through the thick brush. I pull the binos up and see a good buck. One of those bucks that are no-brainers... definite shooter. I didn't get a good look at him and knew the opening for a shot was coming up quick. I put the binos down and raised my 12 guage 1100 and peered through the scope for one last look at his rack before making a final decision. He turns and looks my way and I immediately notice he's a mainframe 10 with 3" stickers off both G-2's. In my opinion, easy 150 plus buck.

I lower the scope down behind his front shoulder as he starts toward the doe. One quick opening is all I have as he strategically moves behind briar bushes. I settle the crosshairs... pull the trigger... and... NOTHING! Nothing fugging happens!!!!

I start panicking. Why isn't the gun going off?!?!? I look at the chamber... fugging empty. NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!

I frantically dig in my pockets for slugs and by the time I find just one to put in the chamber, the buck trots off. Are you fugging kidding me?!?!? I forgot to load the gun?!?!?

Then I woke up. I was literally sweating when I woke up.

As a kid I had nightmares about stupid movies I watched. Freddy Krueger, Jason, that friggin Exorcist chick... cripe, even Pumpkinhead visited me in my sleep. But this nightmare was the worst of all time.

It is still bothering me! Thank God I woke up and I better never forget to load up.

Last edited:
Looking at the reverse psychology of your 'event' as we will call it....I would say that you have an undeniable inner psyche disagreement hidden well within your being....with the ODNR's magazine capacity for your gun during deer season!!

How'd I do?!?!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Wow. What a dream. Yeah, I would have been pissed TOO. Fuggin deer invading our dreams as if it wasn't bad enough they turn into ghost when season rolls around. Now we have to fear going to sleep TOO. Fuggers!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lmao Kevin! Yeah I've chased big bucks in my dreams as well! Fuggin found some monster sheds in my head a few times as well.......pissed me off when I woke up not having them in my hands TOO!lmao

Mike, we've all been there buddy! Nice way to remind yourself to load your gun though! Haha

teej89

NE PA
I read on FB yesterday of a guy that had went to shoot a buck and shot. Nothing. Shot. Nothing. Shot. Nothing. Then went home took his muzzy apart and there weren't any pellets in it hahaha! It was a friend of a friend on FB so if it was anyone on here I'm not making fun of ya just noting a funny story.

Gordo

Athens County
In my younger days that happened to me with a muzzy. My dad always did the loading. Sure enough, a decent buck came by and the only 'bang' was that of the percussion cap. Twice.

After taking the nip off and doing some examing, we quickly realized my old man forgot to put in powder. Doh!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
OK. True Story. Job cancelled on first day of gun season and I got to leave at 7:30 am! Ran home, got ready to hunt jumped in truck and drove 50 minutes to Coshocton to hunt. Got out of truck, looked in the bed, NO MUZZY! It's on the kitchen floor in the case! :tantrum:.............. At least yours was a dream Mike! rotflmao I can see you checking the chamber on occasion now.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ric, you was probably playing with your piss hard on and thought you found a little spike shed.

I thought Mike's reply was funny until I read this one!

I was thinking along the same lines, but you beat me to it. I was going to say "Yeah Ric, you woke up with bone in your hands, but realized it was the wrong one." :smiley_crocodile: